Author Topic: MARSKE (John Hearse)  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: MARSKE (John Hearse)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 October 09 17:27 BST (UK) »
Have just come across this thread as I've been absent from the site during the summer.

My gt grandmother had either a farm or a smallholding at Marske, it was known on the old rates records as the 'Old gas house'. It was on the cliffs at Hummershill. A local historian told me that he remembered the building but that it was demolished some years ago. I wondered if any locals have any knowledge of it? I've had a look in Marske library to see if I can find any photos of it but haven't had any success. (Lots of pics of the places previously mentioned though!)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline simply

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for jumping in too, but the mention of High Street and around the same time as I am researching got me interested.

I'm researching my 2x great grandparents George Massingham and Rebecca Massingham nee Storey. George was a deputy in the mines (I believe at Upleatham), he was struck by one of the wooden supports whilst checking the mine one day in 1904. Unfortunately he didn't survive.

They lived in the old vicarage for a long time, which I recently found out was on the high street, opposite The Granary. I believe that vicarage was sold again around 1932 as Rebecca had to leave and didn't want to stay with family in Marske, so she walked from there to her daughters place in New Row, Dunsdale - at the age of 90! Unfortunately she later died, there's quite a write up about her from the gazette back then.

So, after my rambling, I'd be interested if anyone has any information about the old vicarage and the area around it.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The old vicarage isn't actually in the High Street, it's at the other side of the Valley Gardens, near to Saint Germain's Lane. It's not visible from the street now as a lot of houses have been built around it. The satellite view attached shows its location.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 17:24 GMT (UK) »
This photo shows Saint Germain's church in the background,  the building to the right is, I'm told,  the old vicarage. The photo is taken from the part of the High Street that runs along the side of the Ship Inn, then down to the beach.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline simply

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 December 23 02:05 GMT (UK) »
The old vicarage isn't actually in the High Street, it's at the other side of the Valley Gardens, near to Saint Germain's Lane. It's not visible from the street now as a lot of houses have been built around it. The satellite view attached shows its location.

Oh! This is a curve ball!
I was shown this map, very confusing.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 December 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree it is. Have you noticed that over on the right hand side it says St. Germain's Vicarage? It's in the area I mentioned. So I'm a bit mystyfied. The Granary shown on the map seems to be in the location of the old tithe barn, further down towards the slipway it shows Ship Inn, which is not it's current location.
Do you know what year the map relates to?
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 December 23 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Having just written these pondering I've come across some information in GENUKI:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/MarskeByTheSea/MarskeByTheSea90

"A handsome vicarage house was erected in 1859, at a cost of £1,700, which was raised by sale of the old vicarage, and by public subscription."

So it seems that the one near to Saint Germain's church is the newer one and presumably the one in the High Street is the old vicarage. I'll have to have a look next time I'm passing and see if there's still any evidence of it!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline simply

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 December 23 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree it is. Have you noticed that over on the right hand side it says St. Germain's Vicarage? It's in the area I mentioned. So I'm a bit mystyfied. The Granary shown on the map seems to be in the location of the old tithe barn, further down towards the slipway it shows Ship Inn, which is not it's current location.
Do you know what year the map relates to?

I'm not sure what year the map is from.
Okay, I've found out that the map is from 1853.

I know one vicarage (specified as the old vicarage) was sold in 1859 (as they built a new one) - the old one is where the ancestors moved into. The census I have from 1881 states old vicarage and in the parish of St. Marks (which is close to the vicarage shown on the map). I don't know where the "new vicarage" was built though. I noticed where it says vicarage near St. Germain's too.

It sure is confusing the situation!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 December 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
So the old vicarage was in the High Street, the bit that goes down to the slipway, opposite the tithe barn  (now a very nice house!). It would have been the vicarage for St Germain's church. In 1859 the new vicarage was built in the location I circled on the photo. It would have been set on its own at the time, the houses around it are later twentieth century. Not now visible from the street. It's the house shown on the black and white photo I posted.

The old vicarage is the one where your ancestors lived. St. Mark's church is in the centre of the village, it was built in 1866 so that explains why the 1881 census states that the old vicarage was in St. Mark's parish. My grandparents got married there. :)

Sorry if the above is restating what you already knew, just wanted to set it down in a logical order. I'm afraid I haven't added to your knowledge of the old vicarage but hopefully have added a little about the area around it.

Oh, and much respect to Rebecca, that's quite a hike, particularly at the age of 90!

*Added  - I think the new vicarage now being regarded as the old vicarage misled me!

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham