Author Topic: MARSKE (John Hearse)  (Read 8970 times)

Offline simply

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARSKE (John Hearse)
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 December 23 14:27 GMT (UK) »
That clears things up a bit.
Do you know the number of the house, where the tithe barn was, so I can check it out on a map? (I live in Australia now, so not able to check the area out myself).

Yes, quite a trek for Rebecca to take! She must have been a determined lady. I think I have a painting of her (handed down in the family), painted onto porcelain, an attractive lady.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: MARSKE (John Hearse)
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 December 23 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hoping this works  - if you click the link below it should take you to the appropriate place on Google maps. It's showing on the reference as number 211 but they don't always seem to be right. If you then use the Street View it will show you the Tithe barn,  the large building on the right. The houses immediately opposite look like they're probably 1920s or 1930s but next down is a house with scaffolding up, perhaps a potential candidate.

211 High St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/J8icH1f56NMHHx4P9

How lovely to have such a memento of Rebecca.  :)

There's a very small museum in the village known as Winkie's Castle, I'm ashamed to say I've never visited it, I will try and do so when it opens again in the summer. Maybe there will be some further information there!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales