Author Topic: MARSKE (John Hearse)  (Read 8971 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARSKE (John Hearse)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 August 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I found this thread whilst looking for a family in Marske in Guisborough and wonder if you can tell me where Dale Street, Marske is?  The husband John Weaver was an iron stone miner in 1871 and possibly in the Royal Navy in 1861.  He was still there in 1881.
Sorry to butt in,
Abiam

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 September 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam

Dale Street is in New Marske which is just southwest of Marske

http://www.rootschat.com/links/072d/

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 September 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,  :)

I had a relative Who was born in a house at Spout Wynd.

That particular house was where the current parade of shops is at the seaward side of The Wynd (as current). Around about where Atha Strong is.

The visible remains of Spout Wynd (The Street) is the old parade of shops on the landward side of The Wynd (Myriam's side) It then curved towards the sea, into where the car park is and alongside the beck.

The Wynd was built over the top of this. The present road from the roundabout towards the Frigate Pub- Vickerage drive did not exist in the form it is now.

Spout Wynd - the beck (or stream) runs (or ran) from the railway bridge parallel to the upper High Street, down through the playing fields. Then across the car park and down Spain Hill. Down the Valley Gardens  (behind the Tithe Barn- or Granary) and onto the beach.

The Hospital (Miners Hospital - perhaps) was around where Jane says.

Map: -

"New" Road in red.

I have included the approx location of the Hospital.

George

Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 September 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

OK the cricket is finished but the football league starts tomorrow ::)

George is spot on with his map,  ;D  the old miner's hospital is now where Contemporary, the hairdresser's stands, as a child this was Frankie Dee's supermarket, many a time as a child I had to go and help carry the shopping ;D

I can remember reading a book, written by a local man, name of Charlton, a name that still goes strong in Marske, I am sure it was called Sand in my Shoes, it was a great tale of a boy growing up in Marske, playing on Blue Mountain, being chased by the local bobby!!  He followed it up by the sequel called More Sand in my Shoes.

If you have a look on line for Winkie's Castle, this is a very small museum, which was originally started by Jack Anderson, the local cobbler, he cobbled all our shoes for years, we had to drop them on a Friday after school, and then we picked them up on a Saturday morning which made us suitably shod for school on a Monday. ;D ;D ;D

As I say, I am nearly free  8) and hope to be getting back into my family tree, you never know I may even get a night off.

Jane :D

LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 September 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Frankie Dee!  ;D ;D

The first person to make a stand on Sunday opening at his Saltburn premises.

He was taken to court a few times, before the council caved in, opening the door for Sunday trading.  :)

When I moved to Marske the premises were still Frankie Dee's, but soon changed to Bell's???

Blue mountain - some photos on the net of the chalets on there.

Jack Anderson- lovely man, first class cobbler as well.

Is it his son who has the cobbler shop now, or has that gone.

Last time I returned to Marske, about 4 year ago, I was dismayed at the general condition of the place.  :(

Maybe one doesn't notice when you live there, the gradual downward conditions.

The smell from ICI (Nitrous oxides I presume.) hit me at Thirsk on the A19.

I vaguely remember them developing the Wynd area, as a child (infant)

Before you start  ::) I have a very good long term (photographic) memory.  ;D ;D
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)

Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 September 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Lol some memories tonight  ;D  do you remember the fountain that was in the village square, square and gardens still there but fountains long gone,  :(
Round the corner was the Candy Box, oh I loved that shop, think it was owned by the Jarvis family ???

Bells moved over the road to where Hintons used to be, it's now Sainsbury's at Bells.

Marske in some parts is a bit run down, but they are trying, i will say, toilets all revamped, flowers all over the square, beautiful to see. 

Oh it's good to be back

Jane

LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 September 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
I lived in Redcar till 1991, so remember Marske as a long High Street, passing through.

Moved to Vickers Close in 1991.

I remember Longbeck Trading Estate in the fifties. It seemed to be in the Styx.

Welfords had a small bakery there (cakes for M & S) I still have a craving for Battenburg  ;D)

My Grandfather worked for Welfords and called there every night to pick up the paper work to take back to Redcar. He took me there as an infant.

Up to the 70's (until driving) I only passed through by car with my Grandparents or by bicycle on my way to Robin Hoods Bay/Ravenscar.

So I only remember major changes up to that time.

Obviously I remember all the major building projects since driving and delivering sweets/fags/ furniture around the area.

My partners sister told me of a time, as a teenager she worked at a gas (petrol) station near Longbeck on the back road.

She was required to wear Orange coloured Hot pants. I presume that colour was the colours of the oil company. She also tells me the said Hot pants were - shall we say a bit small  :o :o.

I remember the gas station and have called in there for fuel.  :)

I do not remember girls in hot pants there. (darn it)  :( :(

;D ;D ;D

Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 September 09 21:06 BST (UK) »
Just a few days before I left Marske, the council had put Flower tubs, laden with flowers on the Wynd Square.

The VERY next day the tubs were smashed up. Some through shop windows.

Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Offline Emm

• RootsChat Extra
  • A greyhound is for life - not just for racing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 September 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
have found Timothy Aubin ironstone miner age 25 living at 148 Spout Wynd in 1881 and his brother Dring William marrying in Guisborough in 1873. My guess is he was a miner too.

I have been unable to trace either Timothy or Dring on the 1871 census 

Dring was a common surname in the Whitby area years ago.
Maybe on the female side, some ancestor of his had the surname, which then got added as a Christian name?
 :)
Bean - Nth Yorks.
Cross - Bilston. Staffs.