Author Topic: William Day Lithographer London  (Read 15731 times)

Offline metz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Day Lithographer London
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 November 23 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a painting of Manwood Court in Sandwich by Mrs Day from Mrs J J Day dated 23rd February 1914. I also have several lithograph prints of castles around England prepared for inclusion in the Boys Own Magazine. W J Gordon was an editor of the magazine and think he may have kept the lithograph publishing of these “in the family”

Online K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Day Lithographer London
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 February 24 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Metz.

I have just noted your reply from Nov 23 and my sincere apologies.

Wm. J. Gordon (1849-1937), yes, editor of Boys Own, was husband of Marian Grace Day (1855-1943). She was the daughter of William Day and Elizabeth Rees, the lithographer of London. His brother John Bellenie Day was also married to Isabel Rose Rees, her cousin.

Mabel Grace Gordon (1881-1959) was the daughter of Dr. James John Day.

Marion Rees (1830 -1926) was a niece of the above John Bellenie Day. She married Capt. George Coleman and he was from Deal/Sandwich way. They did not have children and entertained her London cousins in Kent.

Marian Coleman also spent some time living with W.G. Grace, as he was also her cousin; and he had married Agnes Day, another daughter of William Day and Elizabeth Rees and also his cousin.

So, there was some closeness with the extended families. Actually, three Rees siblings from Haverfordwest married three children of George Pocock of Bristol and another of his daughters Martha, was W.G. Grace's mother.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End