Author Topic: whitburn cemetery  (Read 21561 times)

Offline lynnpringle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
whitburn cemetery
« on: Tuesday 10 February 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
can anyone tell me how i can find burial records for whitburn cemetery and get a plot number for a grave.
I am looking for a Margaret tervet young MELROSE died 1906
or any other melrose info anybody may have
thanks
lynn

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: whitburn cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

Whitburn is part of West Lothian and for a plot number you would need to contact the Cemeteries Team at West Lothian Council on

West Lothian Council Cemeteries Section
County Buildings, Linlithgow, EH49 7EZ.  Tel. 01506 775240.

[information is from westlothian.gov.uk]

Additionally, of more immediate help to you, West Lothian Family History Society are making their index to the burial registers at Whitburn and some other cemeteries available to search free online for 2009 as part of the 'Homecoming 2009' celebrations.  I've had a quick look and there are 11 Melroses buried at Whitburn, including Margaret whose burial took place on Christmas Eve 1906.  The registers don't include plot numbers.

The WLFHS website is:  http://www.wlfhs.org.uk/  The records go up to the early 1970s.

Are you near Whitburn?  If not, let me know if you get any information from the Council and I might be able to get you a photo of any stone that exists, once the evenings get a bit lighter.  I'm often in West Lothian visiting family.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Lynn - to add to what Rockford has said:

While the online index does not quote the Lair number, the West Lothian FHS Burial Register CD does.  Baby Margaret Terver Young Melrose, aged 3 weeks, was buried in Section H Lair 7.  There was no-one else buried in that Lair up to 1974.  Her parents, Alexander Cunningham Melrose and Ann Young, are not buried in Whitburn, nor Fauldhouse, nor Livingston, nor Woodbank, nor Linlithgow, nor Boghead.

Regards,

mr-aitch

Offline lynnpringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou both very much you have been a great help, If i contact the west lothian council will they be able to provide me with a layout of the cemetery do you think, so i can find section H, as I am thinking there is probably no Headstone on this grave.
Also one more question, does Kirknewton come under the same region, I have an Alexander Young who died in 1894 as a result of an accident, the nature of the accident I haven`t been able to find out yet, was wondering if there may have been something about it in the local paper at the time, does anyone know what the name of the paper would be and where the Kirknewton burial records are held ?
Thankyou again
lynn

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 February 09 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

I don't know if the will give you a map, but there might be one at the entrance - I can't remember.  If they know when you are going, they might also be able to send someone to mark the plot for you.

Kirknewton probably came under Midlothian in 1894.  As it was on the boundary between Mid and West Lothian, the accident could have been featured in the West Lothian Courier - I'd check the westlothian.gov.uk site and look for the contact details for the Local History Library in Blackburn.  They are very good and hold microfilm copies of the Courier and (I think!) the Midlothian Advertiser.  They may also be able to help locate burial registers - I would also ask the Council when you contact them.

Have you looked at Alexander's death certificate on Scotlands People?  If he died in an accident, there would normally have been a report made to the procurator fiscal.  This would create a 'Register of Corrected Entries' [RCE], which might give you more information.  The RCE number would be noted in the margin next to Alexander's death entry and you should be able to access this through Scotlands People via a big red button that appears when you view the screen that lets you save or download the main certificate.

However, if Alexander was a miner - he might be the person noted here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~miningvillages/1894deaths.html

Search the page for Alexander Young and it gives details of an accident on 19 March 1894, which might be the one you are looking for.

Best wishes

Rockford
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]

Offline lynnpringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 February 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rockford,

The mining accident recorded here was indeed my alexander,
many thanks for that you have managed to solve one of my mysteries.

lynn

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 February 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

You're welcome.  Glad I could help!

Best wishes

Rockford

Offline fantasia.mouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • "It all started with a mouse"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 February 09 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you phone 01506 775300 (Cemetery Office at Linlithgow) ask to speak with Donna Johnston or e-mail donna.johnston@westlothian.gov.uk .

She will send out a map and have the lair marked for you.

Offline lynnpringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 February 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info fantasia

Great help

lynn