Author Topic: James Sturrock born in Cupar/Coupar, Fife, Scotland 1821  (Read 17042 times)

Offline tycho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Sturrock born in Cupar/Coupar, Fife, Scotland 1821
« on: Tuesday 10 February 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any ancestors or siblings for James Sturrock was born 1821 in Cupar/Coupar, Fife, Scotland, whopursued a successful career as a hairdresser/perfuner in Edinburgh (1841), Glasgow (1851, 1861) and London's Regent Street (1981, 1991) and died in Putney 1898.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Sturrock born in Cupar/Coupar, Fife, Scotland 1821
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a father's name from his marriage to Fanny (from 1881 census)? If so you can seach on Scotlands People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to find likely candidates. When you have the names of his parents you can search easily enough for their children in the OPRs.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline elsmere55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
I am currently trying to find information about Sturrocks as several ancestors of mine worked for them in London. Thomas Wilkie and at least one of his brothers - Peter and John worked and trained with Sturrocks in and around 1840 - 1860.  Thomas was their manager in The Strand in about 1875.  His son, my grandfather Thomas D Wilkie also trained & worked there around the turn of the century. We still have some of his notebooks recording ingredients for Hairdressing Pomades and perfumes.
Would like to find out if Sturrocks have any records from this period also what was the connection with St. Andrews and Cupar in Fife. My family ran a hairdressing business for almost 100 years in Cupar -called Wilkies Hairdressing Saloon from 1849 - 1943 when T.D. Wilkie died and the business sold to a Mr Smart.
Hoping you can help establish the connections between Sturrock and Wilkie.

Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsmere

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

How far have you got with tracing your line? You would need to compare family surnames to see what the potential links could be and whether the families were related.

I found this entry in the 1851 Census:

John Sturrock 33, Hair Cutter & Porlanier Employing 17 Assistants, b. Cupar
Isabel Sturrock 52, mother, b. Cupar
Sarah Harkin 34,servant
Helen Nesbit 19, servant

Address: 41 Northd Stt, Edinburgh St Stephen

You then had the other entry that Tycho has for James in 1851:

Jas Sturrock 30, Perfumer Mair Dresser (master Employing 4 Mant Boy), b. Cupar
Eliza Sturrock 30, wife b. England
Grace Odonnell 54, mother in law, b. England
Wm Sturrock 19, cousin, b. St Andrews
Christina McGregor 22

Address:Rosebank Cottage Grant St, Barony Glasgow

If you check on Scotlands People, there are a number of Sturrock entries that are probably related in the last Wills & Testaments: Two for James above, one for Isabella Hutchison Sturrock, who shows in 1851 with son John, and a last entry for a Peter who died in St Andrews.

Also, from this site www.scottap.com/family/Lanark/MLNTestaments/MLNTestaments1S.html:

William STURROCK perfumer Duke St, Edin d 28 Jan 1833. Mrs Isabella HUTCHISON or STURROCK relict of defunct (also shows on SP).

In respect of the Will entry for a Peter Sturrock, there is this entry showing in 1841:

Peter Sturrock 39, hair dresser
Mrs.  Sturrock 40, b. Scotland
Jessie Sturrock 19
Jane Sturrock 17
John Sturrock 14
Peter Sturrock 13
Alice Sturrock 11
William Sturrock 8
Agnes Sturrock 6
James Sturrock 5
Ann Sturrock 3

Address: North Street, St Andrews Fife

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazmak54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm new to this and just stumbled across your posts.

I am trying to trace the grandparents of Peter Sturrock, who lived in St Andrews, married to Alicia Dalgleish. I've just discovered he was born and baptised in the Ceres Associate Church on Nov 21/26 1800. Siblings Janet, 1789, James 1791, Agnes 1793 and William, 1798. His parents were John Sturrock and Mary Archibald, who are buried in Ceres. Peter and his wife and some of his family are buried in St Andrews. Can anyone help with this line? I haven't looked at his will. His brother James was in India at some point. Peter was also a hairdresser and perfumer.
Thanks. Cazmak54

Offline tycho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
Dear cazmak54

There does seem to have been a clan/guild of hairdressing Sturrocks!

I'm not sure I can help you but your information is interesting to me as your William Sturrock b1798 may have been the William Sturrock who is the father of my James Sturrock (a great grandfather of my partner).

The Sturrock data I have is as follows:

William Sturrock (d1833) married Isabella Henderson (b1801).

He had the following children: James(b1821), John(b1821), Mary(b1826), Peter(b1831), Andrew(B1842) and possibly a William(b1832)

James married first Eliza O'Donnell and had a son William(b1852). He then married Fanny Clarke in London and had the following children:  Dulcie, Mabel Fanny(b1883), Winifred Rose(my partner's grandmother b 1887), James Dudley(b1893) and Ronald Alfred(b1895). He died 1898.

James seems to have started as a hairdresser/perfumer with his mother in Edinburgh, then set up in Glasgow and by 1881 had a thriving shop in Regent Street, London right next to the Cafe Royal.

James and his mother Isabella were born in Coupar, Fife.

If you have any evidence linking your william to mine, please let me know.

Tycho

Offline cazmak54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Tycho,

Have just been reading through your message and trying to check out what I've found today. I looked at the original register of the Ceres Associate Church baptismal records and William lawful son to John Sturrock and Margaret Archbald was baptised February 18 1797. They had an older son John born abt 11 Nov 1786 whose baptism is not recorded in these records. Next Janet born 16 Jan 1789 and baptised 18th, then James born 13 May 1791 and baptised 14th, then Agnes baptised Oct 6th 1793, then William, and finally Peter born 21 Nov 1800 and  baptised 26th (he was baptised by Rev Mr Peter Taylor, and he was named after the minister).

The connection is confirmed I think by the census information for Edinburgh 1851 with John Sturrock and his mother Isabel, both born Cupar, then the will information that Isabel Hutchison was married to William Sturrock who died in 1833. She then appears in the 1861 census with son, John, and nephews from St Andrews Peter and Andrew Sturrock, who were I believe two of Peter Sturrock and Alicia Dalgleish's sons.

John Sturrock, the eldest son of John Sturrock and Mary (or Margaret) Archibald, remained in Ceres and was a linen handloom weaver. He married Anne Archibald, who was likely the daughter of James Archibald and Anna Bone or Bayne. Ann Archibald was also baptised at Ceres Associate Church on 30 Dec 1787. John and Anne Sturrock had at least two sons, John born abt 1819 and Peter abt 1821.

Janet Sturrock (b1789) married John Bernard in Edinburgh in 1811.

James Sturrock (1791) only know that he erected the gravestone to his parents in Ceres and had been in India.

Agnes Sturrock (1793) no info.

*William Sturrock - your line I believe.

Peter Sturrock (1800-1878) hairdresser and perfumer St Andrews married Alice (Alicia) Dalgleish (b Dundee) and had a large family including Peter (c1831) and Andrew (c1842) whose dates fit in with the two on the 1861 Edinburgh Census.

I haven't looked at any of the wills on Scotlands People.

I hope you can make this out.

Cazmak54 :)

Offline tycho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Cazmak54

Thank you for your data. It looks as though there is a link. I take it the Ceres Church is in St Andrews. What kind of church would that be?

It seems to me your Peter Sturrock (1800-1878) may well be the Peter Sturrrock of the 1841 census listed by MonicaLesl earlier in the topic. His date, as well as that of his son Peter, are only a little different. Moreover the 8-year-old William in that same list could be the 19 yo cousin staying with my James Sturrock listed earlier for the 1851 cenus.

Good luck!

Tycho

Offline sandra in oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 February 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I am currently trying to find information about Sturrocks as several ancestors of mine worked for them in London. Thomas Wilkie and at least one of his brothers - Peter and John worked and trained with Sturrocks in and around 1840 - 1860.  Thomas was their manager in The Strand in about 1875.   Thomas D Wilkie also trained & worked there around the turn of the century.
Would like to find out if Sturrocks have any records from this period also what was the connection with St. Andrews and Cupar in Fife. My family ran a hairdressing business for almost 100 years in Cupar -called Wilkies Hairdressing Saloon from 1849 - 1943 when T.D. Wilkie died and the business sold to a Mr Smart.
Hoping you can help establish the connections between Sturrock and Wilkie.

Thanks