Author Topic: James Sturrock born in Cupar/Coupar, Fife, Scotland 1821  (Read 17040 times)

Offline sandra in oz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Sturrock born in Cupar/Coupar, Fife, Scotland 1821
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
You mentioned the Wilkie,s in your post, my great grandfather was John Young Wilkie born Cupar Fife son of Peter Wilkie  My GG Grandfather ( Wilkie Hairdressing Saloon In Bonnygate MyG Grandfather John and his brothers Thomas and Peter were also hairdressers John In Plumstead Woolwich, Thomas in london and Peter in Cupar Fife, 2 of Johns children Peter and Agnes Wilkie were also hairdressers and perfumiers, John Wilkie,s son Harry George Wilkie born 1880 in Plumstead was my grandfather, he brought me up, I have my family tree on Ancestry, I just joined this site today.

When I seen your post I was so pleased to hear of this new information, I did not know about the Sturrochs< the mention of the diary,s on the Perfumes , is very exciting to me, I would love to hear from you, I will endeavour to look into The Sturroch Family.

Yours Sandra mcBain ms Wilkie

Offline ListBart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 August 10 07:07 BST (UK) »
Be careful with John Sturrock.
The family appears to follow the tradition of naming the first born son after the grandfather.    Thus John Sturrock's first born son is John Sturrock,  whose first born son is John Sturrock.

Complications come when the second son,  Peter Sturrock has children as his first born son is John Sturrock.   You need to use the census data on the pages before and after the person you are looking for as John is very common.     One breakthrough I had was the one house which had grandfather, son and grandchildren.

I have information which mainly comes from Scotland's People and from Ancestry trees.     I take Ancestry trees with a pinch of salt but list I have come up with seems pretty accurate.   I also used Family Search.

I have John Sturrock (b. abt 1797in Ceres) who married Ann Archibald (b. abt 1798 in Ceres).    He was a hand loom weaver.   His 1851 census detail is:    resident at 12 Castle Street,  Ceres.    4 in household,  John Sturrock  (head),  Anne Sturrock  (wife), Peter Sturrock  (son),  Jane Sturrock  (daughter-in-law), John Sturrock  (g-son), Mary Anne Sturrock  (g-daughter),  George Sturrock  (g-son),  Barbara Rae Sturrock  (g-daughter),  Christian Butler  (servant).     Only 2 children known:  John Sturrock (b. 1819 in Ceres) and Peter Sturrock (b. abt 1821 in Ceres).

Their son John Sturrock (b. 1819 in Ceres) married Grace Lister (b. 1822 in Largo) on 23 January 1846 in Ceres.     Grace was daughter of William Lister and Mary Forbes.     The Listers and Forbes are my research interest.    They had 5 children:  John Sturrock (b. 1847 in Ceres)  who married Mary ?  (b abt 1847 in Wemyss); Mary Sturrock (b abt 1949 in Ceres) no marriage known;  Peter Sturrock  (b. 1858 in Ceres) no marriage known;  Isabella Young Sturrock (b. abt 1861 in Ceres) who married David Stewart Abbey (b. abt 1859) on 17 June 1886 in Glenshee  (they lived in the Aberdeen area; and Maggie M Sturrock  (b. cir 1850).

John Sturrock  (b. 1847) had 4 children:  John  Sturrock (b. abt 1869 in Kemback); William Sturrock  (b. abt 1873 in Ceres); Grace Sturrock  (b. abt 1876 in Ceres);  and Alexander Sturrock (b. abt 1879 in Ceres).

The names that provide a link to the Lister family are Grace,  Alexander and William.

Any information you find on Lister and Forbes from Ceres would be appreciated.

Ian

Offline tycho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Ian

Thank you so much for your Sturrock data. Two queries. I have 1786 not 1797 as birthdate for the John Sturrock married to Anne Archibald (but I can't recall my source for this right now). More curiously, I have him as the son of yet another John Sturrock who was married to a Margaret Archibald. So I'm wondering if and how Anne and Margaret Archibald were related.

Our ultimate hope is to find a photograph of 66 Regent Street near the turn of the century which shows our James Sturrock's hairdresser/perfumer's shop right next to the Cafe Royal. I have seen a 1910 photo but by then it was a different shop.

David

Offline elsmere55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Thomas Dall Wilkie, born 1878 in Kensington London, was manager of the shop in 66 Regent Street. On the death of his father, Thomas - who also worked for Sturrocks in London, Thomas Dall Wilkie returned to Cupar, Fife where he took over the family hairdressers business until his death in 1943, when 'Wilkies Saloon' in Bonnygate, had been in business for almost 100 years.  I would like to discover the connection between the Sturrock and Wilkie families, which must have been long standing and through several generations.

Offline ListBart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
David
You are right.    I checked my data.
Here is Scotlands People census data which I used to calculate birth dates.
1851 census:    Residents at 12 Castle Street,  Ceres were.
    John Sturrock,  age 64,  head,  linen hand loom weaver,  born Ceres.
    Anne Sturrock,  age 63,  wife,  born Ceres.
    Peter,  age 30,  son,  teacher,  born Ceres.
    Jane Sturrock,  age 27,  daughter -in-law,  born Perth.
    John Sturrock,  age 6,    grandson,  born Merrybank,  Perth.
    Mary Anne Sturrock,  age 3,  granddaughter,  born Blairgowie.
    George Sturrock,  age 2,  grandson,  born Bairgowie.
    Barbara Rac Sturrock,  age 6 months,  granddaughter,  born Blairgowie.   Could she be Barbara Rae Sturrock?
    Christian Butler,  girl age 19,  house servant.

Even though Sturrock is not my main interest,  I have 5 John Sturrocks who are all related.   Born abt 1876, d1819-d1894,  b abt 1845,  b 1847,  b abt 1869.

Abt = about (means that the true date is within one year as it was calculated from census age backwards).

I have only one Archibald.
Ian

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
For those who may be unaware there are several will for possibly this extended family on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  Each £5.00 to download.

Regards,  Steve    :O)

80   STURROCK   ISABELLA   12/07/1873   MRS, ALIAS HUTCHISON, RESIDING AT NO.4 MEUSE LANE IN EDINBURGH, RELICT OF WILLIAM STURROCK, HAIRDRESSER   INVENTORY   EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC70/1/163   VIEW (£5.00)
(5 pages

STURROCK   PETER   13/03/1878   HAIRDRESSER AND PERFUMER, ST ANDREWS, D. 11/01/1878 AT ST ANDREWS, TESTATE       CUPAR SHERIFF COURT   SC20/50/51   VIEW (£5.00)
(17 pages

89   STURROCK   WILLIAM   08/04/1833   PERFUMER OF DUKE STREET IN EDINBURGH   INVENTORY   EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC70/1/48

90   STURROCK   WILLIAM   18/10/1833   PERFUMER IN DUKE STREET OF EDINBURGH   ADDITIONAL INVENTORY   EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC70/1/49

116   STURROCK   JAMES   17/09/1898   SOLE PARTNER OF STURROCK & SONS, HAIRDRESSERS AND PERFUMERS, EDINBURGH, GLASGOW, AND LONDON, D. 27/07/1898 AT CLARE LODGE, ST JOHN'S ROAD, PUTNEY HILL, LONDON, TESTATE   WILL   EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT WILLS   SC70/4/307   VIEW (£5.00)
(23 pages

124   STURROCK   JAMES   17/09/1898   SOLE PARTNER OF STURROCK & SONS, HAIRDRESSERS AND PERFUMERS, EDINBURGH, GLASGOW, AND LONDON, D. 27/07/1898 AT CLARE LODGE, ST JOHN'S ROAD, PUTNEY HILL, LONDON, TESTATE       EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC70/1/372   VIEW (£5.00)
(33 pages

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I have Sturrocks in my family, mainly it seems from Ceres in Fife.The Peter Sturrock born abt 1821, is my great great grandfather. I have a dob for him of 28/4/1821, but I don't know where I got it from. I can't find a birth for him on Scotland's People. He seems to have married a Jane McIntyre and was a teacher in Blairgowrie. I may have him with a second wife Isabella (although I can't find a death for his first wife). Has anyone been researching this line???
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline Bermudagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Wimbledon 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tycho!
Like you I have different dates for John Sturrock. I have a John Sturrock b abt 1760 in Ceres marrying a Mary (or Margaret) Archibald born in Ceres on 16/12/1785 in Ceres according to LDS. I have their eldest child being John born 19/11/1786 in Ceres who married Ann (or variations of) Archibald. She was born 28/12/1787 in Ceres and christened on the 30th. I have at least 3 children for them. John born abt 1819 in Ceres who married Grace Lister (that comes from here), Peter Sturrock,my great great grandfather born abt 1821 (I can't find a birth record for him) but from somewhere else I got a date of 28/4/1821 and David born 1/5/1825 in Ceres and christened 9/5/1825. Peter had at least 4 children, John born abt 1845 in Merryback, Perth, Jane Anna born about 1848 in Blairgowrie, George (Monro) Sturrock (my great grandfather) born 9/1/1849 in Blairgowrie and Barbara Rae born abt 1850 in Blairgowrie.
Atkin (Cambridgeshire) Duke (Angus) Gray (Sprouston) Sturrock (Fife) Starforth (Co. Durham) Bewell (Canada)

Offline vf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 February 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Way back in this exchange one contributor supposed that Ceres was in St. Andrews.

No, Ceres is a village about 8 miles West of St. Andrews.  (It is where I was brought up).

You asked what kind of church the Associate Church would be.   At that time there had been numerous splits in the established presbyterian Church of Scotland.   I reckon that the Associate Church would have been a congregation of the First Secession.   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate_Presbytery and in the "History" section click the link to "Associate Presbytery".

At one time Ceres had 5 churches, I believe,  because of the various schisms and rifts, but I am not sure where the "Associate Church" was.   You have got me wondering - I will try to find out!