Author Topic: Shearrer of Shapinsay  (Read 4524 times)

Offline merdrignac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shearrer of Shapinsay
« on: Wednesday 11 February 09 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm new to the forum so appologies if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for John Shearrer, born 1802 on Shapinsay. He moved to Kent and married Amelia Willett under the name "Sherrars" in 1826. I believe his mother was Margaret Skea. I am his direct decendant through my mother.

Any help or information would be gratefully recieved.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Shearrer of Shapinsay
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi merdrignac

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The father of the John Shearrer born 1802 is showing as Thomas Shearrer. Have you been able to confirm your John's father's name? There are a number of entries for children born to Thomas Shearrer and Margaret Skea, including John in 1802.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline merdrignac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks for the welcome. Don't know why I've never found the forum before.

I did know of Johns parents and I think grand parents. What I really need is confirmation of the relationship. As John was illiterate his name has been mis-spelt by various clergy and enumerators. His marriage name is Sherrars, other variants are:  Sharress, Shears, Sherris, Sherras etc.

Was hoping someone might know why he left Orkney and ended up at Gravesend in Kent, where he was a fisherman.

He is my ggg grandfather on my mother's female side and it would be incredible to have cousins (however distant) in Orkney.

Jim

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
hi jim  :)

welcome to rootschat

my other half has family from orkney that emigrated all over the world
one of the reasons for this was the limited resources on the islands
the farm or landholding was usually passed on to the oldest son so
with there being large families younger brothers and sisters often had little
choice but to look elsewhere if they wanted a decent life

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=petedavi&id=I4211

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Stibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I too am new to RootsChat and have been searching for more info on John Shearess/Amelia Willett. They are my wife's 3 x great grandparents. In the 1841,51 and 61 census returns he is shown as being born 1796, 1791 and 1792 just prior to his death in Gravesend workhouse in 1863. I have just sent off for his death cert which I hope will throw some more light on the family. It is in the 1851 census that Orkney Island is wrongly transcribed as Orking, Ireland, and his name as Sharrep.

As Jim rightly says John Shearess has his name spelt many ways and I've yet to find 2 the same. Most are transcription errors but others are undoubtably due to the inability to read and write. I have a copy of the marriage register and John, Amelia and the 2 witnesses all made their mark.

As for why he moved from the Orkney Islands to Gravesend I believe I've foud a possible reason. If you Google for Sutherland of Flotta you'll find someone whos has reseaarched his Gravesend family roots and found that they too ariginated from Orkney and there were regular trips by Gravesend fishermen to the Orkneys to buy lobsters to sell in London. Gravesend also had a thriving shrimp fishing fleet and this may have enticed John Shearer and others down to Gravesend.

I would like to know if anyone has found firm evidence that the John Shearrer b1802 is indeed the John Shearess who married Amelia Willett.

I do hope the evidence exists as the Orkney connection has excited the whole family.

Stibs
Langridge; Stevens; Kelly; Loft; Shearess (plus all the numerous spelling variations: Sharep; Sharess; Sheress; Sherriss and lots more); Stableford; Eagle; Spackman; Thorn.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stibs

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Some thing that concerns me about John's potential family from what you have said. His age showing on the censuses seem to imply that John was born up to 10 years earlier that the John we have been discussing who was son to Thomas and Margaret (Skea). The 1841 census age of 1796 is to be expected with the normal rounding down to the closest 5 years, i.e., someone born 1792-96 will show as 1796 in the 1841 census.

By the sounds of it also, the Old Parish Register entry for John's marriage did not include his father's name which is a pity.

Have you been able to establish the names of John and Amelia's children in order of birth?

One final thing, death certs. in England do not include parents' names or place of birth. Not sure if this will help in trying to find out more about your John's origins unfortunately  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stibs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica - You're correct in that the marriage registry didn't include either fathers' name and I don't expect too much information about John and Amelia's early life to come from their death certs but every little hhelps.

The listing of their children that I've gleaned from the censuses are as follows: Sarah Ann b1828; Edward Minter b1830; Ellen Willett b1833; Eleanor b183; Jane b1836; Anney Louisa b1839; John Richardb 1841; Amelia b1844; Mary Ann Poldon b1847; Elizabeth Ann b1851.  The year of birth are all circa. 

A couple of interestng additional forenames in there that I haven't found an explaination for yet: "Minter" and "Poldon" They were married on the 26th November, 1826, so it's concievable that Sarah Ann was their first born in 1828.

I  did find a family in the 1841 census living in Appitown, Orkney & Shetland, civil parish Evie. Their name is Shweris and the John Shweris is shown as a shoemaker. Page 7; Line 1175; Roll CSSCT1841.  I could see the name Shweris being written down as Shearess.

What do you think?

Stibs
Langridge; Stevens; Kelly; Loft; Shearess (plus all the numerous spelling variations: Sharep; Sharess; Sheress; Sherriss and lots more); Stableford; Eagle; Spackman; Thorn.