Author Topic: "Laings" in Fife and beyond  (Read 116819 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Laings" in Fife and beyond
« Reply #153 on: Friday 05 February 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen, Are you East or West Fife Laings?  There does not seem to be a tie in between the two or at least not that I can find so far.  Mine go from Torryburn through Dunfermline, Halbeath, Lassodie, Lumphinnans, Lochgelly, Cardenden and Kirkcaldy.  However there are Laings in Cowdenbeath who originate in North Fife and they are not tied in.  Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Friday 19 February 10 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd post my Laings - I don't think I've seen them mentioned so far, but I could have missed them (there's a lot to read!)

George Laing, m.1825 at Ceres, Ann Thomson (1803 Logie -1879, widow by 1851)
children:

Ann (b.1826 Dairsie, Fife), lived in Dundee c.1879, married Cameron

Thomas (b. 1829 Cults, Fife)

George (1835, Carnock or Kemback, Fife -1914, Dundee), m. i) Ann Scott Henderson (or just Scott), 1857 at Murroes, Angus  - children: Ann Scott Henderson, Elizabeth, Mary, Jane, Jemima, George, Helen Salmond, James, Jessie; m. ii) Madeline Peebles 1898 in Dundee

John (b.1838 Kemback, Fife) m. i) Margaret Pearson, 1860 at Dundee, children - George, Mary Ann, Robert; m ii) Matilda Barrie, 1879 in Dundee, children - Betsy.

Mary (b.1840 Dairsie)

Robert Miln Neil (b.1844 Dairsie)

Jane Murray (b.1846 Dairsie)

I come down from Elizabeth Laing, (1859-1933, daughter of George Laing) who married Alexander Blyth (1857-1929) at Balbeuchly, Auchterhouse.

Best - Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Friday 19 March 10 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Laing, son of John Laing and Ann Black, was born 14 Dec 1807 and died 10 Nov 1872 at Bonnygate, Cupar, age 65 years. He was married to Isabella Edmond, daughter of David Edmond and Isabella Hain, who was born 26 Aug 1807 and died 4 Oct 1870.

David Laing, son of John Laing and Ann Black, was born 2 Sep 1810 and died 30 Oct 1896 at Barnhills, St Andrews, age 85 years. He was married to Rebecca Moodie, daughter of John Moodie and Agnes Hain, who was born 27 Jun 1816 in Cults and died 10 Dec 1885. They had a daughter, Rebecca, born 22 Jun 1851 and died 27 Sep 1913.

Alexander Laing, son of John Laing and Margaret Ramsay, was born 8 Apr 1838 and died 24 Feb 1925 at 41 Crossgate, Cupar, age 86 years. His father is named as Andrew on his death certificate. He married Janet King, daughter of John King and Elizabeth Loch, who was born c1852 and died 24 Feb 1927 at Methilhill. They had a son called Thomas.

Peter Laing, son of William Laing and Charlotte Easson, was born c1848 and died 18 Nov 1930 in Shettleston Road, Glasgow age 82 years. He married Elizabeth Forbes, daughter of James Forbes and Ann ???, who was born 17 Oct 1838 in Cargill, Perthshire, and died 9 Jan 1870 in 125 South Street, Perth. They had one son, James Laing, who was born 17 Dec 1869 in South Street and died three days later. Peter then married Agnes Mathieson, daughter of Robert Mathieson and Janet Barr, who was born c1848 and died 29 Nov 1927 in Neilston, Renfrewshire.

Jane Laing, daughter of William Laing and Charlotte Easson, was born 24 Dec 1856 in Perth and died 7 Oct 1929 in Gorbals, Glasgow, age 72 years. She married David Reid and had a daughter, Bessie.

Thomas Lucian Laing, son of William Laing and Charlotte Easson, was born 8 Jan 1864 in Perth. He married Wilhelmina Gibson, daughter of Angus Gibson and Catherine McGregor, who was born c1864 and died 30 Dec 1908 age 45 years. They had a son, Thomas Lucian Laing Jnr who was born 1899 and died 1900.

Mary Ann Laing, daughter of David Laing and Jane Crombie, was born 23 Dec 1868 in Arncroach and died unmarried on 22 Jan 1954 in Denhead, Kennoway. However, her death certificate says the informant was James Dyce, son.

More tomorrow if anyone's interested.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Friday 09 April 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
I was in Scoonie Cemetery today and came across the gravestone for David Laing and Christine Skinner. I'll upload the picture I took if anyone is interested.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline Grosperrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Saturday 10 April 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ostler.

Thanks for that. I too have found and photographed David andChristian's headstone in Scoonie graveyard. I found it very emotional to be standing above  my great great grandfather and great great grandmothers' remains. Often think of the trials they had during their lifetime and my side of the Laing family's journey round the East Neuk.  Probably, like yours, they were farm hands near Anstruther and followed available work round the coast, becoming miners in  Wemyss and into West Fife.

All best

Grosperrin.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Monday 26 April 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again all you Laing 'cousins' out there in the Kingdom!

I have a more current Laing that I need a wee bit of background on to determine if she's linked to my tree before I go spending any more of my genealogy budget .

JANET ARNOT SMART LAING born in Cameron Parish, Fife in 1913 died in St Andrews, Fife 2000.  I have her marriage in 1942 and know she had two sons.

If anyone has a connection to Arnot could they help?  Given how recent this is I'd be happy to deal via PMs.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jboyle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Regards

Chiad Fhear[/color]

Hey, i have just started researching my husbands family tree. It seems I have a link with you CHIAD FHEAR!

I too have james drummond and christian stevenson. They are parents of Stephen Drummond, born 23.2 1931 and died 1901. He married Helen Robertson 1854. Stephen and Helen went on to have John Drummond born 14.2.1864 who married Jeannie Laing 10.4.1891.

Jeannie was the reason i was searching this page, perhaps there is a link to the laing earlier in the drummond tree.

I don't have alot of info yet and would love to see what you have. Cheers
Joanne Boyle

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne and welcome to the RootsChat Forum and the 'mad-house' that is/can be "LAINGS" in Fife and beyond ;D

We ARE connected and I've sent you a PM so we can exchange information

Regards

Chaid Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clunie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all Laings!!

Please excuse any mistakes that I make as I just discovered this site last night and had to hunt around for my family history stuff.

Anyway my great great grandfather was a Robert Laing, who was born approx 1840 in Carnbee, Fife. His parents were James Laing  and Isabella butter who were married in 1833, 29  June in Carnbee.  Robert Laing and his father moved to Dundee in around the 1860's .  Robert Laing married Jane Ann Doctor in 1868.

I do have more information, but just thought that I'd post the bones of it, as it may help someone with their research.  I can't claim to finding out any of this myself - my Aunt gave me some Laing family research that had been undertaken in the late 1980s.  However I have verified and added to it, through Scotlands peoples website.

I look forward to any responses :)