Author Topic: "Laings" in Fife and beyond  (Read 116156 times)

Offline sheenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Laings" in Fife and beyond
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find info for William Laing b 30/10/1857 Scoonie, Fife. Parents are Andrew Laing (b 1825 Carnbee) and Margaret Gay/Guy (b1819 Arngask).  His elder brother was John Laing (b1854 Kennoway).  William was listed with his parents in the 1871 Census living at Annsmuir Farm, Collessie and was aged 13.

Can't find any further info for him after 1871 i.e.  if he moved from Fife, married etc.   Anybody have any connection with him or advice where to try next?

Would be much appreciated

Sheenie
Fife: Radley/Harley/Brown/Cunningham/Rollo/Kinnear/Turpie
Fife: Laing/Ness/Birrell/Gay/Ramsay/Black/Greig/Storrar/Dowie
Angus/Forfar: Mathewson/Glass/Nicol/Main
Aberdeen: Mathewson/Cruickshank/Driscoll/Meston
Ross & Cromarty: MacKenzie/Gordon/Fraser
Nottinghamshire: Radley/Chevins/Shepherd

Offline treeclimber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 28 March 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Evelina, I can connect into your line through James Laing and Margaret Hunter through their son, John, who m. 1) Isabella Wilson and 2) Margaret Moyes.  I haven't done a lot of research on this line, as I am concentrating on Herds in Fife.  I look forward to corresponding with you. 

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 28 March 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treeclimber ... I hope your tree isn't like mine - FULL OF NUTS  ;D

I notice you're concentrating on your HERD line in Fife.  My great grandaunt Mary Pearson married a James Herd who was born 17 Sep 1834 at Arncroach, Carnbee.  Maybe we could start a "HERD in Fife" thread to run in parallel with this one?

Oddly, James's mother was Christina Drummond ... who might yet be connected to my maternal Drummond line as well as the maternal Pearson one :-\

I've got some HERD information going back to about 1775 if you'd like to see it and compare it with yours.  Can you PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you?  It can't be attached here >:(

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline treeclimber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 28 March 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  Yes, I do know of your Herd line and am working on it.  I will e-mail you.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 29 March 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Treeclimber

I have done quite a bit on John & his descendants.  How are you connected to him?  He would be my 2nd great granduncle.  I am descended from his brother James.

John & Isabella had 13 children that I can find.  I can only find 1 child with his 2nd wife Margaret.

Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline treeclimber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 29 March 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Evelina,  I have only found nine children from the first marriage and one from the second.  Please send me a PM.  Thanks.

Offline Alanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information regarding David Laing married to a Rebecca Mudie?  I believe David was born in Cameron, Fife, Scotland around 1811.  He died around 1896.  I am looking for any information regarding his parents or any brothers and sisters he may have had.

Thank You!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alanda

I knew someone would come looking for this info sooner rather than later when I gathered it following a visit to Boarhills Churchyard not far from here in St Andrews.

I was looking for LAING information and came across a tall headstone - my photo of it has gone astray - but I noted the names and dates, etc., on it and did a wee bit of research when I got back home.

I first went to the 1841 Census and found:

Parish of Kingsbarns - Little Kilduncan
David Laing   30   Ag Lab (Agricultural Labourer)
Rebekca Laing   30
Agnes Laing   10
Ann Laing   8
Elizabeth Laing   6
John Laing   4
Margery Laing   2
David Laing   10 months

All were shown as 'Born in the County'

An OPR search on ScotlandsPeople narrowed their marriage to 25 December 1830 in Fife and the IGI (FamilySearch) confirmed that as Cameron and I also found:

Agnes born 8 Dec 1831 at Forgan
Anne born 7 Apr 1833 at Carnbee
John born 15 Nov 1836 at Forgan
Marjory born 26 Jun 1838 and Baptized 8 Jul 1838 at Kingsbarns
David born 4 Aug 1840 at Forgan
Mary Farmer Laing born 7 Aug 1842
Isabella born 26 May 1845 at Forgan
Janet born 29 Apr 1847 at Forgan

I couldn't connect them to 'my' tree (then) but I still kept hold of the information just in case the time came ... you know how it is in this genealogy game ;)

I hope this helps  :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thank You so much Chiad!  I am from New Brunswick, Canada where some of David and Rebecca's kids moved to and I actually have found a picture of the tobstone of Rebecca Mudie Laing.  I really appreciate your help.  I am coming to Scotland in August and I am definately going to stop at the Boarshill Cemetery when I am there.

Alanda