Author Topic: Apprentice Records  (Read 1199 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Apprentice Records
« on: Thursday 12 February 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Charles Webb b1833 Catsfield, Sussex was apprenticed to William Eastwood wheelwright of Blackboys, Framfield somewhen before 1851 when it shows up in the census.
Would there be any place I could find a record of that agreement? I have trawled through the Archives but cannot see it there.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I am not quite sure what you mean by having trawled through the archives.

If anything is available it will probably be in the county record office.  You might find a catalogue online for example at:

http://www.a2a.org.uk/

In the record office you need to look in the poor law union records and the parish records.  The quarter session records may also contain details of any problems.  There may be some private deposits which contain details.  Another possibilty is the local guildhall whose records may have been deposited or in a few cases still be there.  I am fairly sure that the wheelwrights did not have a London Livery Company which for other trades would have country wide apprentice lists.

The following site might help

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~blacksmiths/wheelwrights-1.htm#Top

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 February 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

The archives I trawled through were on A2A and nothing came up. There is the Worshipful Company of Wheelwrights but according to their website they do not possess records relating to family history.

Cheers
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I missed the Wheelwrights' Company because in the book I was using there is only a very small section listing what is in their records because there are so few.

Those that exist are in Guildhall Library London but there seems to be nothing of interest prior to 1883 which is explained by the fact that prior to that time none of the members were actually engaged in the trade of wheelwright.  However it does appear that the Carpenters' Company was until 1882 acting as the body responsible for the trade and they do have apprentice bindings etc deposited in Guildhall Library.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 February 09 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David, I will follow that one up.

Regards
Sean