Author Topic: James Dunn (1832-1879) & Alice Caffrey (1847 - 1894)  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
James Dunn (1832-1879) & Alice Caffrey (1847 - 1894)
« on: Friday 13 February 09 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

These two were both born in England, but moved to New Zealand and had around 11 children. I only know of 4 (Mary Jane, Margaret, Laurence /Lawrence, and Annie)

James died in 1879 in Slippery Creek - he drowned. His father was - I think - Laurence Dunn. James had been a manager of Kupapa Coal Mine, Huntly

Alice is sometimes referred to Alice McCaffrey. She was the sister of John Caffrey who was hung in 1887. Her parents were Francis & Alice. I think she died in Australia

Does anyone have any information about James & Alice's children?

:o)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Dunn (1832-1869) & Alice Caffrey (1847 - 1894)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
when did they come to NZ? married here? or England? just thinking for children and places born.
I don't know slippery creek, where is that?
Bye
Althea

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:21 GMT (UK) »

James died in 1879 in Slippery Creek - he drowned. His father was - I think - Laurence Dunn. James had been a manager of Kupapa Coal Mine, Huntly

When DID James die  ??   

(You have 1869 in the title of this thread - and 1879 above ?)

:)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:38 GMT (UK) »

Alice is sometimes referred to Alice McCaffrey. She was the sister of John Caffrey who was hung in 1887. Her parents were Francis & Alice. I think she died in Australia

Does anyone have any information about James & Alice's children?

Just a thought.   ;)

Why not follow up on the death of Alice - if you think she died in Australia (1894).   ???

Depending on which AUS state she died in, you may be able, from her Australian death certificate, to obtain the names of all of her children (in some instances, deceased children are also named on d/c's.)

[Perhaps post a look-up for Alice's death on the AUS board?]

Lu

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Dunn (1832-1879) & Alice Caffrey (1847 - 1894)
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 09 01:39 GMT (UK) »
oops, guess that's the peril of typing without the aid of coffee.  He died in 1879 in Slippery Creek, Papakura, Auckland.

:-[
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline RANNE123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if you found all the information you wanted but I found by the end of her very sad life Alice (Jane) correct name spelling was CAFFERY. She had had 13 children. Kate (1862) Anne (1864) Alice (1870) George (1872) Lawrence (1878) , (Peggy) Margaret Mary. The others - NOT TO DUNN -were Elizabeth (1879), Craig (1881), Florence (abut 1882) Ethel (about 1884) and Josephus about (1886)

I hope that helps you.
R

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 February 19 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ranne - she is a sad wee character

Offline RANNE123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 19 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiwigirl,
I’ve been researching her parents and trying to find out more about her.  Can you tell me how you know she died in Australia and anything else you know about her after she left here. I have quite a few records from when she asked for assistance.  The recorded was in National artchives in Auckland. That is how I knew about all the children because she had to list them all. My great grandmother was one of her children. 

Actually perhaps we are cousins ... I think I remember the Kiwigirl handle ..RF

Ranne123

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 February 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I will ask the family 'go-to' and see what she has  ;)