Author Topic: WOLFENDEN/BARGH  (Read 1228 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WOLFENDEN/BARGH
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 23 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, S.J.Bargh , now I remember.  Still see them on the motorway sometimes.
That brings back a few memories, but I'm sorry we are not relatives, just old neighbours.  Bargh is an interesting and unusual surname.  Do you know its origins,?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline CarlB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 23 14:41 GMT (UK) »
It is an medieval English term meaning dweller by a hill or burial mound.  It is probably taken from the
Anglo Saxon word 'beorg' meaning mound or hillock.  Another theory is that it came from the Yorkshire parish of Barugh.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 23 15:41 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting, Carl.  Thank you for stirring some old memories for me. :)

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 February 23 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Just an additional memory - I don't really remember Claughton Hall Farm, but do remember Claughton Hall, which apparently was moved stone by stone further up the fell and away from the farm in the 1930s.  It's a striking building, in part Elizabethan and maybe older.  This move placed the Hall not just at a distance from the farm of the same name, but away from the main Lancaster to Hornby Road and the River Lune.  At the time we were living in Claughton the Hall was owned by the flamboyant and somewhat notorious Owen Oyston, but now it's a business offering sporting "shoots" and AirBnbs.  An aerial ropeway, incidentally the last one operating in this country,  brings down clay and shale from the fell in buckets (by gravity feed, so no other power needed) over the main road and into the Claughton Brickworks.  I don't think the Bargh family were involved in the brickworks, however.  (There are several illustrated references to Claughton Hall and the Brickworks to be found via Google.)