Author Topic: Looking for William Stoker  (Read 5307 times)

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Stoker
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
John

Even if we read it as "Co Down" (and the second instance looks remarkably like that) we are up against the problem that there is not a single townland in Co Down ending in "ing"; whereas the word "Riding" does occur in Co Durham - at least once (!): Lumley Riding, Chester-le-Street (which is near Washington).

Similarly there are historical records of Stoker in Co Durham (including, you believe, Thomas & Mary, parents of William); but there appear to be none in Co Down.

I think you should treat this "Co Down" with more than a little caution, until you find some further evidence which is definitely not reliant on this passenger list.

Good luck

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
If the place is 'Riding' in Co. Durham then it looks like he was born in Co. Durham but at the time of the entry being written his parents were living in Co. Down.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Looking at www.familysearch.org and entering the parents names only,i.e. Thomas Stoker and Mary Dixon, then Ireland we find William Stoker, born 1829, Down, Ireland
also
Mary, born 1826
Thomas born 1825
and William's death as 1907
this is a submitted record
then, if we insert England instead of Ireland
we get a long list of births, but not Williams
These were also submitted records.
There is also marriage for them in Co. Down, dated 1824.
Do you know about them??
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 21:11 GMT (UK) »
RosemaryJoan

The risk with LDS submitted records is that they may be constructed from the same primary source that we are looking at. So if the source is in error (Co Down written in error for Co Durham), all the submitted entries are equally in error.

John needs another primary source (eg parish registers, originals or reliable transcriptions) to verify this doubtful source. Well, I have classed it doubtful - others are welcome to choose otherwise!

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 March 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Blowing up the magnification on the jpeg it seems to be Co Down in both cases fairly definitely. 

The connection between Down and Durham is they contain large estates owned by the Marquis of Londonderry of Mountstewart, Co Down and Wynyard Hall, Co Durham (which the 3rd Marquis inherited through his wife).

Have you considered "Roddens" which is between Ballywalter and Ballyhalbert on the Ards peninsula and very near Mountstewart House?  Elsewhere I've seen Rodden written as "Roding" which is but a small step from Riding.  I don't know if this was in the Londonderry estate or the neighbouring estate of Lord Dunleath, but if it was that could add weight to my (very speculative) suggestion.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 March 09 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Akanex - I think you've hit the nail on the head!  That's what it looks like to me.  I see it spelt Rodins in Ros Davis's site.  However, no sign of any Stokers in Co. Down in Griffiths.  It might be worth looking at the C of I records , Inishargy and Kirkcubbin marriages1791-1846 in PRONI ref MIC/583/24(baptisms 1805-80 Proni ref same
Presbyterian baptisms 1778-1949 and marriages 1781-1935 Kircubbin
R.C. more difficult to find
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 March 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
To Aghadowey, Adrian (Kintree), RosemaryJoan ,Akanex and Tony.
Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. I needed to replace my computer and forgot to permanently log into Rootschat having therefore receiving no notices of any messages.
I appreciate all of your thoughts and now looking at the certified copy of William Stoker's marriage certificate to Margaret Lumsden on 14th April, 1860 in Newcastle, Australia, in St. John's Church of England Church, it states occupation Labourer, Birthplace County Down, Ireland.
In the 1861 Census William's father Thomas, his mother Mary, and Jane and Hannah his sisters, were living in Loosing Hill, Lamesley, Durham, William having immigrated in 1858. Thomas was shown as being a cattle dealer. Could Thomas have been involved in this occupation in Co. Down ?
Many thanks,
John...Sydney
O'Halloran, O'Brien - Limerick. Ireland
Dower - Co.Waterford. Ireland
Dodd - Co.Kildare. Ireland
Cotter - Co.Cork. Ireland
French, Sussex. U.K.
Pinning (Penning) - Lincolnshire. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Bennett- Staffordshire. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Coffey - Co.Cork, Ireland.