Author Topic: 1901 census Athlone area please  (Read 5870 times)

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1901 census Athlone area please
« on: Saturday 14 February 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Can you please help me. I have been trying to find my GT. Aunt Caroline Maud Hughes (B) 1883 for some while and have now discovered her (B) 1883 Oct-Dec Athlone Ireland on the Irish web site. I had assumed that I would be about to find her back in England on the 1901 census by so far no. Did Ireland have a census in 1901? if yes would it be possible to look for her?  Thank you
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census Athlone area please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 09 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Have moved this post from Irish Resources (for posting resources not queries) to Westmeath board. Athlone is actually split between Roscommon and Westmeath but listed under Westmeath for administrative purposes.
The first complete census for Ireland is 1901. The National Archives is gradually putting the 1911 census for Ireland online and will then add the 1901 census once all of 1911 is done. See here for order of counties to be added:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html
1901 census is also available several places in Ireland and to order from your local LDS library but you do need to know where the family lived to order the correct microfilm reel.
Meanwhile, if anyone knows of any other indexes sources (free, pay per view, subscription, online, etc.) they can let you know.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information. Moors
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Have looked through Athlone Roots, 1901 and while there are Hughes, there is no mention of the name you require.
Jack

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 February 09 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack for looking the family had all come home, I know th Father went to Egypt in 1883/4 dead in 1885 Egypt, It is just that I have not been able to find Caroline Maud Hughes (B) 4thQ 1883 Athlone. I do not have the cert. but she is listed there.