Author Topic: Found Fishmongers Leases in Londonderry  (Read 18867 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Found Fishmongers Leases in Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
As promised, more leases sealed:

MS 5571, Guildhall Library, London.  Fishmongers Court Minute Books, Vol. 14, 31 October 1828 to 1 August 1833.

p. 51.  18 December 1828.

Lease "to Michael Miller of lands in Ireland by order of the Irish Estate Committee the 11th of August last are sealed with the common seal of this company."

p. 57.  22 January 1829.

Leases to Mark McKerbey, James Loughry and John Townley of mountain farms in Ireland by order of the Irish Estate Committee the 12th December 1828, are sealed with the common seal of this company.

p. 79-80.  16 April 1829.

Leases to the undermentioned persons on the Company's Estate in Ireland as directed by the Irish Estate Committee the 11th instant are sealed with the common seal of this company, vizt -

A freehold lease for the life of Joseph Wilson, Esqr heretofore Prime Warden, and in case of his death then for 15 years from the 1st day of November 1828 to James Campbell of Drummond.

Leases for the Term of twenty one years from the 1st day of November 1828 to Isaac Connor of Sistrokeel and James Leech of Glack.

p. 349.  27 October 1831.

Leases for the term of 21 years from the 1st November next to George Kane  Thomas Kane and Patrick Kane of lands in Loughermore Ireland as directed by the Irish Estate Committee to 30th July last are likewise sealed with the common seal of this company.

p. 361.  10 December 1831.

Leases in fee to the under-mentioned persons of lands in Ireland as directed by the Irish Estate Committees the 8th August and 30th September last, are also sealed with the common seal of this company vizt

Tenants names                           Townlands
--------------------                    ---------------
Robert Campbell McCausland          Ballyspallen & Broharris
Samuel Irwin                               Ballymaclenaghan

MS 5571, Guildhall Library, London.  Fishmongers Court Minute Books, Vol. 15, 28 September 1833 to 13 April 1837.

p. 55-56.  10 April 1834.

Leases ...

also to James McGinnis and Alexander George } of lands in Ireland in the townlands of Carnamuff & Dunbrock

also to Patrick McGinnes in townland of Carnamuff

also to John Quigley { in the townlands of Carnamuff and Faughanvale

and Manus McShane and Adame Nelson } in the townlands of Ballymaclanaghan and Gortalea

are sealed witht he common seal of this company in open court.

Best wishes!

Peter A. Kincaid
Fredericton, NB, Canada
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Greetings from the USA!

I was very interested to see these lists of Fishmongers Leases.  I am a great great great great grandson of John McCunn (1760-1845) who immigrated to Indiana County, Pennsylvania around 1828-1830.  He is very likely the John McCunn who has a 21 year lease from the 1st November 1822 at Coolkenaght.  John was married twice, his first wife's name is unknown to me, but his eldest daughter by her, Elizabeth McCunn (ca. 1790-1866) married a Loughrey and with him had two sons, born in Co. Londonderry -- James Loughrey (b. 1824) and Matthew Loughrey (b. 1826), and a daughter, Margaret Loughrey, who was born in 1830, in Indiana County, Pennsylvania.

I notice that Matthew Loughrey follows John McCunn in the listing of leaseholders, and was also at Coolkenaght.  Can anyone tell me where exactly is Coolkenaght?

John McCunn's father, William McCunn (1731-1796) and his wife, Elizabeth (1737-1779) are buried in the Walworth Graveyard, Ballykelly.  Is anyone else working on the McCunn family?

Cheers!
-- Richard Cochran, Big Rapids, Michigan

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 April 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Coolkenaght is in the north east corner of Faughanvale Parish.  It lies in back of Carrickhugh townland which is on the shores of Lough Foyle.  Walworth townland is just two small townlands east.

Peter
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 April 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Peter!

This explains why we have a newspaper obituary (Indiana County, Pennsylvania of James McCunn (1811-1889) with the odd penciled-in notation regarding the place of his birth in County Londonderry:  "in sight of Lough Foyle"!  James was one of John McCunn's sons by his 2nd wife, Mary Smith.

-- Richard Cochran

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 April 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
Coolkeenaght meaning the bare tree, or pole, of Keenaght according to Alfred Moore Munn's book Notes on The Place Names of The Parishes and Townlands of the County of Londonderry- 77 acres 3 rods 19 perches.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 April 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Oops. A small correction for the record.  The 1889 newspaper obituary of James McCunn that I mentioned is annotated, in pencil, with "In Site [Sight] of Dinogol" not Lough Foyle.  Same difference, I guess, since you would see Donegal peeking up on the other side of the water!

Richard Cochran

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Richard,
            I can assure that it does more than "peek up": the Innishowen Peninsula of Co. Donegal on the other side of Lough Foyle is a particularly outstanding feature of the view from the Co Londonderry side of the lough.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 April 09 00:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the clarification.  Obviously the notation was evidence of something my distant relatives must have wanted us to know, a hundred years later!  I'll troll around on google images or youtube and see if I can get a good look at  Innishowen.  Or make a trip across the water!

-- Richard Cochran

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 April 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
Richard,
            Have a look at     www.jochenlueg@freeuk.com
            If you take the "Scenic Drive" there are various photographs showing Lough Foyle and the Innishowen Peninsula. The first one , although taken after dark shows the River Roe flowing into Lough Foyle and this is fairly close to your ancestors home.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim