Author Topic: MAYHEW Eliza marriage banns Coddenham between 1863-1870  (Read 7372 times)

Offline candtfha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MAYHEW Eliza marriage banns Coddenham between 1863-1870
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 April 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
We aren't directly linked to George and Susan - their grandson Edward/Edward
married my 3rd great grand aunt Caroline Cousins.

According to the census records 1861 and 1871 Caroline Mayhew lived with grand parents George and Susan but in 1871 Susan Mayhew was listed in Paddington London as a nurse with a son George born about 1866. Until now we didn't know who Caroline's mother was.

We would be interested in the Eliza Mayhew and William Penworden information.

regards Tony & Connie

Ingham, Lancashire
Cousins, Suffolk
Sturdevant, USA
Leavell, Kentucky
Baker/ Hearn, London

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 April 09 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

I have lost track of Susan Mayhew after the 1871 census. I dont know what happened to her or her son George.  Her daughter Caroline and her son George Mayhew Born in 1865 were both born out of wedlock!

Eliza was born in 1844 and was the daugher of George Mayhew and Susan Lockwood.  Eliza was the younger sister to my Susan Mayhew.

I have traced Eliza in the 51 and 61  censuses living with her family in Coddenham.  I dont know where she was in the 1871 census.  The 1881 census she was found married to a William Penwarden living at 2 Rose Hill Cottages      Middlesex.

In 1891 Eliza and William Penwarden are living at Plumstead with my Caroline Mayhew (now Challis) family.  As far as I can see Eliza and William Lived with Caroline and Frederick Challis (my ancestor) as Caroline and Frederick sailed around the world working as stewardess/cooks.  Caroline and Frederick had two sons, Frederick and Edmund (Edmund is my grandfather) and as they were often away I think that Eliza must have looked after them.  She has some Mayhew relatives visiting her in the 1891 census.

In 1901 Eliza is living at Plumstead again she says she is married, but there is no sign of her husband William.  She is living with Caroline and her two sons.

I dont have details of Elizas marriage, but I found a death for her in 1909 in Woolwich, which is the correct registration district for Plumstead. 

I am afraid that is all the information I have on Eliza.  Hope this helps
regards caron
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline candtfha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 April 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caron,

Now we have completed the information on William Penwarden and Eliza Mayhew. We'd apprecite it if you could let us know about the Butt connection - if indeed that is the link.

regards - Tony & Connie
Ingham, Lancashire
Cousins, Suffolk
Sturdevant, USA
Leavell, Kentucky
Baker/ Hearn, London