Author Topic: MAYHEW Eliza marriage banns Coddenham between 1863-1870  (Read 7374 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MAYHEW Eliza marriage banns Coddenham between 1863-1870
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 February 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found their marriage

December qtr 1871 St Olave 1D 327

Ancestry freebmd shows a William Penwarden with that ref but no Elizabeth Mayhew on the same page

I checked the full GRO index for that qtr and there she is

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 February 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole Thanks for your reply I am eagerly looking forward to looking at the information you have given me -

I have looked on free BMD weddings for 1871 and as you say there is a Wm Penwarden but not the right bride.

If I go on to ancestry website I can see  Wms marriage entry in Dec 1/4 for 1871 c.  If I look for Eliza Mayhew in the same way I cant find the entry above.  Can you confirm where I can find Elizas cross reference entry please.  Do you have access to all the marriages on the GRO, as I cant find Eliza anywhere else?
Thank you
caron

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 February 09 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron

I found the xref on the full GRO index which can only be accessed via an Ancestry sub.  She was Elizabeth Mayhew on the GRO index but the St Olave ref was exactly the same as William Penwarden

The entry on freebmd is a bit confusing as it lists 2 males and 2 females so the impression given is that Wiliam married one of the 2 females

If you send for the marriage cert - put a condition that you only want it if brides name was Elizabeth Mayhew (not Eliza) and her fathers name was George
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 February 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron

A very big SORRY.  The 2 references do not match - Elizabeth was 1D 327 and William was 1D 376 but both were Dec qtr 1871 and St Olave

I think I looked at the GRO ref for Elizabeth and then looked at it again instead of looking at William's ref

The other Elizabeth was 45 on the 1881 and married George Cleaver

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Dont worry Carole, thank you for looking for me. I guess I will still have to look for the wedding on the GRO. I have an ancestry subscription but I dont have the full GRO index.  I wonder why the freeBMD transcriptions show two brides and two grooms on each entry?  It is very confusing isnt it?
 Thanks for all the time you have put in trying to help me solve this.

I will keep looking.
Regards Caron
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron

If you have a UK Ancestry subscription, it includes the full GRO index.  Here's the link

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Choose the first one headed Marriage and Death Index ranges & Images 1837-1983

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 February 09 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for bring this index to my attention, I hadnt been on ancestry for a while and I didnt realise you could search this index independently.

Regards caron

Offline candtfha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 April 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
We have the Coddenham Mayhews in our tree too and I had Eliza married to William Penworden but could never find a record. Since reading your messages I delved again and found an Eliza Marthew married to a William Pitt Butts in 1864 December quarter Kensington 1a Page 8.

Could this be the connection to the Eliza Butts you found married to Penworden?

No proof of course - the 2 records are between census years so no record of Eliza Butts birth, unless the marriage certificate to Butts can prove it.

regards - TonyC
Ingham, Lancashire
Cousins, Suffolk
Sturdevant, USA
Leavell, Kentucky
Baker/ Hearn, London

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 April 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your findings. I will have a look at this information in the week.

I still havent solved where Eliza Mayhew was in 1871 and also when she married.  I know she died in Dec 1909 aged 63.  She was living with my gt grandmother in Plumstead. 

What Mayhew are you descended from.? ~My direct ancestor is Caroline Mayhew born in 1858 who was the child of Susan Mayhew.

My Caroline Mayhew had an amazing life on the sailing ships working as a stewardess, if you would like further information on her please let me know.

Regards
Caron