Author Topic: Colville: COMPLETED Thank You.  (Read 1986 times)

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
Colville: COMPLETED Thank You.
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Greetings all,

Robert Wilson Colville, son of Samuel Colville & Mary Thompson, was born 16 Feb. 1863 in Islandmagee, Co. Antrim, Ireland. He sailed from Londonderry aboard the S.S. Peruvian & landed in Canada on 30 June 1883.

Soon after his arrival in Canada he married Annie McNeill, born 30 April 1864, daughter of William McNeill.

According to the 1901 & 1911 Canada census' they resided in Morven Village, Ernestown Twp., Lennox & Addington Co., Ontario, Canada.
Robert & Annie had sons Samuel Colville & Frederick T. Colville. Samuel is not on the 1911 census so I assume he died.

Robert died 27 Nov. 1922. He was predeceased by his wife Annie after 1911. I have been unable to find her date of death. There appears to be nothing on familysearch.

Can anyone help with her death date & perhaps direct me to the families of the sons if they had any?

Thanks,

Roger
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colville
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 01:41 GMT (UK) »

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 02:02 GMT (UK) »
You just have to spell Annie's name strangely to find it.  In ancestry.ca it has been transcribed as Sussie Polts Colville.  It actually comes up right underneath her husbands.

She died from cancer of the stomach and bowel - 2 years duration.  Date of death 28 Jan 1922 at Ernestown, Ontario.  She was 57.  Born Ireland 30 Sep 1864.  Father William McNeil of Ireland and mother Jane Mididge of Ireland.  Burial Moven.  The informant for her death was her son Samuel who was residing in Bath.  Her full name was Annie Potts Colville.

Samuel was also the informant for his father's death - do you need the particulars of that?

When I was looking for the death of Annie you find the death of Annie Jean Colville at 2 years 1 month 19 Nov 1924 at Ernestown.  Her parents were Frederick and Lillian Colville.  I will look for their marriage for you.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I can not find any marriage for Samuel or a death record.

Frederick Thomas Colville (26), a farmer and resident of the Village of Bath, County of Lennox and Addington, Ernesttown Township married Lillian Barriage (24) also a resident of the Village of Bath at Napanee, Ontario Nov 17, 1922.  His parents Robert Colville and Annie McNeil and hers An?s barriage and Viola (?) Mayers.

I only found the record of the death of one child for them.  Unfortunately births past 1909 are not available. 

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 09 02:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a good cemetery finding aid for Ontario - unfortunately there is only one township in Lennox and Addington County in it and it is not the one you need.

Try this link and scroll down to  Lennox and Addington County.  There is an email address for someone willing to do cemetery lookups in Ernestown Township - she does not have Morven Cemetery listed but if you contact her she might be able to suggest other avenues of research.

http://www.wightman.ca/~dkaufman/

I did a search in www.411.ca for the surname Colville.  You only get 6 pages of listings and unfortunately my Ontario geography is a bit rusty.  None of the locations stand out as being from that area.  I actually spent the first six years of my life in Odessa which is located in Ernestown Township. 

This is a link to the Ontario Genealogical Branch Office that is responsible for Frontenac and Lennox and Addington Counties.  You can browse their website and see if there are any resources that you can use to further your research.

http://www.ogs.on.ca/kingston/index.html

Good luck on finding out more information on the Colvilles.

Debbie

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for the info. You've made my day.

I had tried the O.G.S. site but there was nothing for the Colvilles & using Canada 411, as you said, produced too many names to call.

Too bad we have such a long wait for the next census & that the 1940 info costs so much.

Thanks again & good hunting on your families.

Roger

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roger

Frederick Thomas enlisted in WW1. He will have a file at National Libray & Archives Canada. The first page of his attestation paper is available to view searching this site. Gives his birth date Feb 24, 1896 Bath, ON. There is not the back of form to view online, which gives a physical description.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=90tm3jnj7uqnrc4it0gt6qh5j7

If you decide to request copies of the file for him, info on doing so is here:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 February 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your help. I did find that just after my previous post. I'm trying to do too many things at once to keep proper track.

Odd how Fred was drafted & Sam, being the elder son, not. Perhaps by that time in the war they were no longer conscripting married men & Sam had married by that time.

My grandfather volunteered in 1914 & his love for his newly adopted country left a widow & 3 babes. Go figure.

Roger

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 February 09 02:32 GMT (UK) »
I know you don't really need it, but nice to have them on all censuses...They aren't married yet in the 1891, but Robert's living with Annie McNeil, her brother William, & parents William & Eliza young Samuel and also another young man of 11, surname Hamilton in household...J.J.
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/05mw/ 

Odd that the couple died just within a few months of each other...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com