Author Topic: Is it Holden or Halden? (Completed)  (Read 10341 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Holden or Halden? (Completed)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is a match.  I have Kitty born 1777.  So her brother William is my 4 times great grand father, and Kitty a gggg Aunt.

I have not any any more details regarding William and Greezel Halden apart from marriage and rough birth dates, the trail goes cold from there.

Their son William married Alice Walker in 1798 St Mary, Stafford.  (St Mary holds many records regarding my Halden, Merrick/s families).

One son of William and Alice, "James Halden" is the father of my Anne Halden who married George Merricks.  I have a photo of her and her headstone if interested?

Will send PM for contact details.
Cheers
Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline newportshrops

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 10 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my family tree to William Halden b 1749 in Milwich near Stafford and Mary Sargent also of Milwich My side of the family come from one of Williams sons George Halden b September 23 1785. In early 1800s George moved to Colton Clanford nr Stafford. Sons of George moved into Stafford and worked in the shoe industry. The name is Haldane meaning Half Dane in Anglo Saxon.and all similar names come from this. There is alot of Haldanes in Scotland. I have relations Leicester who are related to me by being brothers to my Grandfather George. Hope this Helps

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I had the wrong William Halden with Grezel Spillbury, it turns out to be your side with William Halden and Mary Sergant.  Then their son William is my line.  So he would be the brother of your George.
Shoes makers for Bostock shoes, plus printers/booksellers and Quakers in this line, all stayed in Stafford my side.

Regards
Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline newportshrops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nice to here from you

I have been trying to go further back than William but have only gone back to 1729? In the records our Surname was spelt Haldern. It all depended on who wrote the name down in records but all our surnames come from Haldane.
In Milwich around 1700 their were other Haldens.Roger and Thomas Halden but I can not tie them in to my Tree They must all tie in some where. Around 1821 another Family called Halden came to live in Milwich. This was John Halden and he was a Butcher, they came from Hertfordshire. Their are alot of Haldens in Hertfordshire. Why would they come to Milwich? Are we related to them? Did they come up because they had relations in this area? who Knows Something for you to think about.
As regards Christian names I think the lead member of the Haldens is William because it crops up alot as being important in the line. I don`t think our line from George were Quakers However my father said to me that my Grandad George 1883 remembered going to a Building in Stafford and seeing lots of Halden names on the wall. That must have been the Quaker House. Also one of your line I think a William was also a Presbyterian  Lay preacher ( sorry about the spelling) around the 1830s in Stafford as well as his main occupation.

I also had great uncle who went to Australia but he never had any children. So no summer holidays for us

Hope this helps you

Les

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
P.M has been sent to newportshorps. ;D

And far too many to add

Offline vicgerm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Suffolk rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 March 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I would like to explain the Milwich/Hertfordshire link - My 2x gt grandmother was Jane Halden 1812-1852, daughter of John Halden of Brent Pelham son of John & Elizabeth Podmore. John married Kitty Halden who was the daughter of William Halden and Grizel Spilsbury. Their common grandparents were Thomas Halden  1702 - 1787 and Dorothy of Milwich.
Thomas and Dorothy had several sons one of which married Mary Floyer heiress of Brent Pelham Hall & Manor. Mary died childless, then Thomas, in his will Thomas left the estates to his father Thomas and after his decease they were to go to some of his brothers. Thomas (father) died just before his son, the will was not changed and the brothers inherited.  At least one stayed in Milwich. I have this family back to 1610.
Germain, Collis, Woollard, Halden, Tyler, Branwhite, Phipps, Ackers

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 July 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
This is all most fascinating. I think a family trait of the Halden descendants is an interest in genealogy. I am descended from Roger Halden, brother to the Thomas who married Mary Floyer heir to Brent Pelham, he was married to Mary Podmore sister to Elizabeth (much marrying between families I find Eatons involved as well), one of Roger's sons was Edward my ancestor a Methodist lay preacher and teacher, he and his family emigrated to America before 1851 and apart from my little branch I lose track of them there, Edward's daughter Rachel Halden died young and her two surviving children Kitty and Nellie (my GGrandmother) returned to England with their English father.

I still can't make out whether the Halden's moved from Brent Pelham to Milwich or the other way around? It seems my ancestor Roger stayed in Milwich but I wonder if there was a Hertfordshire connection before then? Oddly I now live close to Brent Pelham so have photographed some Halden graves.

Another interesting thing is that I have it on good authority and it seems most likely that the family changed their name from Hardhorne to Halden.

Most interested to hear of the tracing back to 1610.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 July 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jopeg.

Best to contact newsportshrops with a p.m as there is a link between you two.  We are still trying to find the connection between my Halden's and the others, there must be a link somewhere?

William Halden married Mary Sergant in 1773 Milwich, Stafford is my side.
Their son William Halden married Alice Walker in 1798, by then this part of the family were in St Mary, Stafford.  William was also a lay preacher for the Methodist church.  (His son Enoch Halden was very involved with the Quakers and a photo is on Stafford past track along with my gg grandmother Ann nee Halden who is the niece of Enoch).

I would be most interested to see any photo's of headstones regarding the Haldens.  I know there are a few on this site including Roger Halden http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/cgi-bin/RLsearch.cgi?terms=Halden&filter=0None&type=all&sort=Matches&disp=10

All the best
Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline Sarah Louise

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 July 11 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am also descended from Willam HALDEN and Mary SERGEANT through their son George who married Mary BOON CAPEWELL 26 Oct 1806. George and Mary had 3 daughters: Elizabeth, Mary and Alice. Elizabeth is mine.

If I understand correctly there are at least 2 HALDEN/HALDON/etc spelling families in Milwich in the 1700-1800s. I'm a little confused about who is who - I wonder if anyone has a publicly viewable tree?? I know I have corresponded with someone else in the family who had the details a little different to what I have but as I'm doing all of my research from afar using internet records I am likely to have some mistakes. Would love to get all of the details right!

best regards
HODGES, WALTERS, CURTIS, TREGOWETH, MARLOW, STEW, JONES (B'ham), JONES (Shrops), EDWARDS, FOWKES, PANTER, BUCKBY, GRINDON, HILL, HITCHCOCK, HARGRAVE, NASH, ARNOLD, LEVY, DOUGHTY, NOBLE