Author Topic: Death of Matthew REID - Hobart 1838  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Matthew REID - Hobart 1838
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 February 09 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kris, that's what I wanted to see, a year relating to the convict Matthew Reid of the transport Lord Lyndoch after 1838, and I think you have supplied it. Now, if Tom can find the 1838 burial of Matthew Reid with an occupation or witness (relative), that might make it 101%.

And thanks for the website link, but I do know about it - I submitted that information  :D It is a good site for research, but there is no provision for the author's details, so if you find something good(!) you can't make contact.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Tom from OZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,

I couldn't help myself, no patience and visited the FHS this lunchtime.

Although Mathew Reid did not appear in the Pioneer Index his name appeared in early burials at St Andrews Presbyterian Church  Hobart.
Page 4, Plot 306 and 307, Jan 1829-Oct 1872.

There is some confusion as to his age probably due to the poor copy of the burial record it states Mathew Reid died 26 Mar 1838 age 25 or 53 born 1813 a guess from the wrong age.

The good news is that there is a Headstone, it reads:-

Sacred to
the memory of
M

Offline Tom from OZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Sorry about that it posted itself before I finished.

Sacred to
the memory of
MATHEW REID
who departed this life
March 26th 1838
aged 25

Unfortunately this does not fully answer your query as we have no family or witnesses to refer to.

One thing I did check was a birth for the third child you mentioned, if the child was born on the voyage the birth should have been registered at the next port of call which I presume was Hobart.

The only Reid in the bith records was a Mathew John Reid, Father Alfred Robert Mother Mary Ann Smith in Longford Tasmania 1894.

If necessary I am willing to go to the State Archives in the hope the original Burial notice has more information but it appears unlikely, as well as the confusion regarding his age, no doubt a poor copy.

If you confirm ownership to this Mathew Reid and you would like a picture of the headstone please let me know.

Tom

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom for your help. Please don't go to the Archives only for my benefit. I do go there a couple of times a year, though haven't been there for some 12 months this time. I was unaware they had Tasmanian Burial Records.

I do know about the head stone in Hobart as I have personally seen it (see my original post on this thread). The inscription is clearly visible except for his age, but I thought it was 53 years. Although this topic is in relation to Burial Records of Matthew Reid, I actually posted a thread (18 months ago?) with a photo of the headstone for RootChatters to confirm that the age was 53 years. They agreed.

When I was originally inquiring about the death age, I was also told 25, which "threw me right off the scent". I then made some more inquiries, and found that age had been transcribed incorrectly, and the death age should be 53 years.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!