Author Topic: Incorrect entry on birth index?  (Read 668 times)

Offline Mrs F

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Great Grandfather Ebenezer Surry
    • View Profile
Incorrect entry on birth index?
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible for the entry on the birth index to be wrong. Trying to trace birth of my grandfather. The only Donald Eiles I can find for June 1919 in London (or anywhere for that matter) he is listed as Donald E Eiles. I was always told his middle name was Norman (passed to my father). The death entry shows it as Donald Norman Eiles.  ???
EILES (Bethnal Green, Westham, Leyton & Bedfordshire). SURRY (Southgate, Guilden Morden& Kent). DODSON & KNOWLES (Lymm, Bucklow, Cheshire). HODGE & DODD (Luton, Bedfordshire). SMITH (Bethnal Green)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Incorrect entry on birth index?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
The more likely is that he was registered in a different quarter to what you expect - or even a different year.
However if you see my post HERE then yes the GRO index can be wrong.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Mrs F

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Great Grandfather Ebenezer Surry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I checked and double checked all the quarters for a period of 4 years either side of 1919, just to make sure.

It's a mystery to me ???
EILES (Bethnal Green, Westham, Leyton & Bedfordshire). SURRY (Southgate, Guilden Morden& Kent). DODSON & KNOWLES (Lymm, Bucklow, Cheshire). HODGE & DODD (Luton, Bedfordshire). SMITH (Bethnal Green)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 11:49 GMT (UK) »
The index cna be wrong for a number of reasons

1)  If you are looking at FreeBMD or a simliar site it may be wrongly transcribed from the index  -  Check the image from which it was transcribed.

2)  The GRO index was wrongly transcribed from the local index.  -  Check if there is an index for the local registry office.

3)  The index was wrongly transcribed from the registry entry -  Obtain the certificate from the local registry office.

Having seen some of the handwriting in the local red index books it is not hard to see how they could be wrongly transcribed.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk