Author Topic: Medforth - Patrington, Easington, Kilnsea  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Gryphon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medforth - Patrington, Easington, Kilnsea
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on this family particularly John Medforth of Kilnsea who was born approx 1725 and died approx 1786 and his ancestors.  He was my GGGGG grandfather.  I have quite a bit of details regarding his descendants, but not his ancestors or parentage.  I'm also interested in finding out more about one of my distant cousins Robert Medforth who used to run the Dog & Duck Public House  in Patrington.  I recently visited Patrington and could not find this builiding anywhere.  It was unique in as much as it had a picture of a Dog & Duck carved in the stone above the door.  Does this building still exist?

Offline alanpere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Medforth - Patrington, Easington, Kilnsea
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Here's a photo taken between 1900 and 1905. The building does still exist and is now the post office.

The pub was sold by Mary Holmes to Robert Medforth in 1888 for the sum of £440. It closed in 1938

PERE in England and Scotland

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Great picture!

I took a look in the Kilnsea Parish records at the Beverley Record Office this morning.

I found this burial:

Jan 11 1786 John Midforth farmer.

No sign of his baptism there but I did find these entries which might be relevant:

Married (apologies - just realised from my notes that I neglected to write down the year, but, from memory, it was about 1725 ish!) John Hamilton husbandman & Elizabeth Midford widow both of Easington  by banns.

Buried Jan 28 1728/9 Elizabeth Medforth step daughter of John Hamilton.

I'm wondering if the Elizabeth, widow was your John's mother and perhaps he was baptised in Easington? Unfortunately, IGI coverage of Easington only seems to start in 1720 but there is one baptism on there for an Elizabeth Midford 25 Oct 1720 d/o Samuel. Again, just supposition at this stage, but could Samuel also be John's father?

It's certainly a surname that has many and various spelling variations!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline alanpere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
A keen local historian friend of mine who lives in Easington (which is right next door to Kilnsea) has found the following info on John Medforth

1st wife  Margaret Hodgson            buried 26 Feb 1745 @ Kilnsea

3 Children          Elizabeth      bapt. 28 Feb 1740
                                                married William Robinson 6 Feb 1764 @ Kilnsea

Margaret      bapt. 21 Jan 1742
                                                married George Spragan

Jane            bapt 20 Feb 1745
                                                                      buried 26 Feb 1745

2nd wife   Mary Hotchin           Married 7 July 1750 @ Kilnsea
                                                Buried 5 Apr 1763 @ Kilnsea

4 Children              John Bapt. 3 Mar 1750  Buried 1795
                                               Samuel Bapt. 15 Oct 1752
                                            Married Emma Bride 26 Nov 1784 @ Easington
                                               William Bapt. 17 Mar 1754  Buried 1755
                                               Robert 1755 -1827
                                                 Married Anne (1759 - 1847)

3rd Wife   Ann Spraggon         Married 16 March 1767 @ KIlnsea
                                               Buried 1783 @ Kilnsea

From the dates, it looks like his first wife died in child birth with their third child Anne.

Hope this helps

Offline alanpere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. I meant third child Jane.

Offline marleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm new to this site and was browsing to see if I could see any connections. I was wondering if your Robert Medforth is the same Robert as I have in my tree. My Robert was born 1854/1855 in Easington and married Ada Lawton who was also born in Easington. On the 1881 census my Robert was a policeman living with Ada at 6 Police Buildings Hull. On the 1891 census they were living Market Place Patrington.  So was just wondering did they have the Dog & Duck?                                                                                   
Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Gryphon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Marleen,

I've just checked my family tree and the Robert Medforth who owned the Dog & Duck did marry Ada Lawton and had two boys Edwin & Harold.  These are the two boys seen in the picture above.  So Yes They are one and the same person.  You've helped me too as I didn't know Robert was in the fuzz. lol ;D

Offline marleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 April 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lol,
          Thanks for the info, thats realy good as i didn't know they had 2 sons but it makes sense now because I have a wedding photo of Harold Medforth. My grandad Robert Johnson was best man and he was cousin to Harold Medforth. Ada Lawton was sister to Eliza Lawton who was my greatgrandmother. They were brought up in Easington at the Neptune Inn . There were quite a few of them one being a brother Philip Loten who was a taxidermist. Yes it's one of those names Lawton/Loten. Quite a bit of  info  if you want it. Eliza married Thomas Laythorpe Johnson, another policeman and their son Robert also was a policeman.
I have a photo of Robert Medforth on his own and group wedding photo of Harold.  I will scan and send if you wish. I havn't a death date but i do know
that Ada was living at' Woodland House' Park Avenue Withersea in 1920 because I have a letter whereby she was leaving her nephew, Robert Johnson £1,000 at her death! One of the witnesses was a William Tyson Metcalfe of 23 Arthur Street Withernsea.
             Regards
                          Marlene

Offline Gryphon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 09 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Marleen,

Those scans of Robert and Harold would be nice if you can post them.  If you have ancestors from Easington, Please check the following link, it is a work in progress.  It's called the Easington Headstone Project where the intention is to photograph every gravestone in easington churchyard.  I have already found about 25 people that I am related to there.

http://www.skeals.co.uk/Projects/Easington%20Churchyard%20Gravestones%20Project.html

best wishes

Martyn