Author Topic: !Warning!!  (Read 7228 times)

Offline BigSlick

• RootsChat Member
  • Much Troubled and Misunderstood
    • View Profile
!Warning!!
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I was lazily browsing on FindMyPast.com today looking up some addresses and living rellies for fun. I then realised to my horror that all my 1911census credits were gone!

I discoovered that the living relative search automaticaly deducts from the 1911census account without a warning.

I think this is sharp practice because on the actual 1911census site evry single time you look at a record you have to click a confirm button to spend the credits.

I have asked the support contact to refund my credits. has anyone else come accross this pitfall?
The sirnames Chester and Lane

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: !Warning!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Bigslick

That is either one big cock up or one big RIP OFF. I know where my money Lie's.
Please let us know how you get on.
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Koyote19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This happened to me - luckily I only spent 10 credits. I guess they'll say it's in the T&Cs or something...

Kirstie
Hennah, Hicklenton, Wigger (Norfolk), Pease, Hackett (Cradley Heath), Day (Notts, Northumberland)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I've just been in to check. I have the Explorer package.

On the first page  that comes up when you select Living Relatives and before you do anything you get this:

Search Living Relatives

Family history is not only about finding your ancestors. Our Living Relatives search includes the latest electoral roll information, telephone data which is updated monthly as well as historical director information.

Charged at 10 credits, it is among the cheapest electoral roll searches online and cheaper than most directory enquiries services.

when you click on Search, you get this:

Please note you will be charged 10 credits for each search.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an FindMyPast subscription?
I have a subscription and am able to browse records, etc without it deducting my 1911 credits.
If you don't have a subscription to FindMyPast then your 1911 credits will be used instead (1911 and FindMyPast being part of the same company).
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »

I don't have a subscription ..but I do have credits in wait for my area being transcribed for the 1911 .. mine have been deducted for a search on FindMyPast .. but I would have expected them to .. ?

It does state they would be.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I Think an Accept/Decline check box would be even clearer
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an FindMyPast subscription?
I have a subscription and am able to browse records, etc without it deducting my 1911 credits.
If you don't have a subscription to FindMyPast then your 1911 credits will be used instead (1911 and FindMyPast being part of the same company).

It's quite clear, whether you have a sub or not, that the Living Relatives searches are extra.  Here is the page that describes what you get:

http://www.findmypast.com/paymentOptions/subscriptions/index.jsp

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
It's quite clear, whether you have a sub or not, that the Living Relatives searches are extra. Here is the page that describes what you get:
http://www.findmypast.com/paymentOptions/subscriptions/index.jsp
Gadget

It was before the 1911 census release that I did my living person searches and I didn't have any credits (because of having a sub) and wasn't charged any extra, maybe that changed I haven't done one for about 5 months or so.

But, you are quite right that it's clear.
Even before undertaking a search it says twice, on the page for living rellies, that it will cost you 10 credits.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***