Author Topic: !Warning!!  (Read 7226 times)

Offline BigSlick

• RootsChat Member
  • Much Troubled and Misunderstood
    • View Profile
Re: !Warning!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 February 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I am not saying there is not a message about credits but there is also a similar message about credits for the census searches.  There should be a pro-active warning like there is on 1911.

The point is I payed for my credits on 1911 and not FindMyPast. Now 1911 warn you before every single search and they are the agency I paid my cash to, so is it unreasonable to expect the same level of "pro-active" warning for FindMyPast?

The sirnames Chester and Lane

Offline BigSlick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
It's quite clear, whether you have a sub or not, that the Living Relatives searches are extra. Here is the page that describes what you get:
http://www.findmypast.com/paymentOptions/subscriptions/index.jsp
Gadget

Answer me this, If its quite clear why does the 1911 site warn each search?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
They are separate sites with separate systems.

It's quite clear when you sign up with Find MyPast what you get - I gave the link. The ticks are quite clear. The Living relatives are extra.

Surely, when you subscribe to/join a site you read the membership rules and details.  I do.

It's Caveat Emptor ........

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I think it's perfectly pro-active to state twice before you even commence a search that you will be charged.
I know you're mad because you feel you were "caught out" but I think you just need to chalk this up to experience - the site provides teh information that you will be charged.
When purchasing (or rather before) your credits on 1911 it does tell you that those credits are also able to be used on FindMyPast as well.
On FindMyPast having performed a census search it does tell you how many credits it will cost you to view any transcription/image as soon as your mouse moves over the word VIEW.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline BigSlick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Its not Caveat Emptor its £26.00 down the pan, and yes I was mad and I will chalk it up to experience.

BTW they are not seperate sites, because I have real problems signing in to 1911 if I have just signed into FindMyPast.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
They are separate sites (albeit sister sites), run by the same company (bright solid) who also run Scotland's People.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just logged in to both on seperate tabs.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands people site always warns you that this will cost x amount of credit do you want to continue Y or N
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:03 GMT (UK) »
This is what the search page looks like for living relatives: