Author Topic: Baptism, c 1801, Whitford: Thomas Needham *Completed*  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to think genealogy was the study of genies.
    • View Profile
Baptism, c 1801, Whitford: Thomas Needham *Completed*
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that someone will be able to check the Whitford parish baptisms for me, for a Thomas Needham. The 1841 and 1851 census returns indicate a birth year of about 1801, and the 1851 census gives his place of birth as Whitford. Any information would be much appreciated.

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism, c 1801, Whitford: Thomas Needham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, any other Info from the census might be useful, wife, children.

Paul.

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 February 09 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, thanks for your response. Thomas Needham married Margaret Ann Atcherley (from Kinnerley in Shropshire) on 6 Jan 1824 at Oswestry. They had four children that I know of: Mary (born abt 1826 in Flintshire), Jane (born abt 1828 in Flintshire), Charles (born 16 Sep 1830 in Manchester) and Elizabeth (born 27 Sep 1836 in Manchester). All four children were with their parents in 1841, when the family was at Parish Mine Row, Greenfield, Holywell, Flintshire, Wales (no occupation listed for Thomas but most likely he had been or was about to be employed at the local copper mine as most of the men in that neighbourhood were).

You can probably guess that I've found baptisms for the last two children, but no luck on the IGI with the first two.

By 1851 Thomas and Mary Ann were living at Maes-y-dre (written as Maesydre on the census return), Mold, Flintshire, where Thomas was working as a lead miner. The only child still with them was Elizabeth. Charles had possibly by this time gone (or been taken) to Australia.

I can't find the family at all after 1851.

My main interest is with the Atcherley family, but I'd like to find out a bit more about Thomas Needham's roots if I can hence the request for a baptism record if it can be found. The IGI only seems to have baptisms for Whitford from around 1813 (I think) to 1837. Maybe I should also try a more general post on the main Flintshire board to see if anyone else has already researched the Needhams of Whitford?

Hope the above is of help.

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 February 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve. This could be him in Whitford PR's

May 16 1802 Thomas s/o Thomas & Mary Needham. abode, Uwch Glan.

I couldn't see a marriage for a Thomas Needham to a Mary in Whitford but found this in Holywell.
May 19 1798.
Thomas Needham(x) 21 of Whitford. s/o Samuel & Elinor
Mary Jones(x) 20 of this parish. d/o William & Jane.
Witnesses. John Jones(x) & Elizabeth Powell(x)
(x)= did not sign made mark.

Paul.

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 February 09 15:44 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant, thank you very much Paul.

The marriage for Thomas and Mary looks very likely to be the one, as Thomas is described as being of Whitford. Two for the price of one there, since it gives his parents' names as well!

Would I be pushing my luck to ask if you can spot any siblings for Thomas jnr, other sons and daughters of Thomas and Mary born around that time? If so, let me know and I'll mark this one up as completed.

Again, many thanks.

Steve

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 February 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Good job you reminded me ::)

April 1 1799. Jane.
June 17 1800. Margaret.
1802. Thomas.
Sep 11 1810. John.

Whitford baptisms children of Thomas & Mary Needham. Uwch Glan.

Paul.

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 February 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Excellent - thank you very much for that.

Steve