Author Topic: BOULARDERIE, NOVA SCOTIA  (Read 3107 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
BOULARDERIE, NOVA SCOTIA
« on: Monday 16 February 09 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
I have the following, which relates to my great great grandparents.
(From Victoria Country Register of Deeds, Baddeck, Vict, NS Registry Books)

>Bk B p 391 #341 Alexander McKenzie and wife TO Murdoch McDonald DEED Regd 16 Nov 1857 Indenture made 27 Aug 1857 Between Alexander McKinzie of Boularderie, Farmer, and wife of the said Alexander McKinzie Ann McKinzie AND Murdoch McDonald blacksmith of Boularderie..L160...Lot#36...northside of Boularderie.
Alexander "X" McKenzie Ann "X" McKenzie
Witness A Munro Kenn McDonald
Wife's 'free will' declaration signed by James Sutherland JP<

I assume this was giving their land away before they emigrated to NZ. My gt gt grandparents and their children were aboard Breadalbane which went to NZ from NZ. 
I am interested in finding out about this area. Who and what is on this land now? How would they have got the land in the first place?
Is there anything available online for peole researching ancestors who went from Scotland to Nova Scotia? I am interested in trying to find when they got there and how. I know their childrens birth years, and I know where in Scotland my gt gt grandfather was born, I don't know for sure whether they married in NS or Scotland, but I do know the year the their seemingly oldest child was born in NS.

I look forward to any information/advice
TIA
Regards
Jan Moon
Daintree, Australia
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline kooran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BOULARDERIE, NOVA SCOTIA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 February 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Boularderie is on Cape Breton Island and you can find a lot of information if you google "Boularderie Island".  I just did a quick look on the Nova Scotia Archives and Records Managment and found reference to both Alexander McKenzie and Murdoch McDonald.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/databases/land/Results.asp?Search=McKenzie&SearchList1=all&TABLE1=on&TABLE2=on&submit.x=31&submit.y=8

I didn't go through all the information, but the names are mentioned at 1827.
Ironside, Adie, Wilson, Park, Ferrier, Gray, Tennant
Robb, Hardie, Clark, Johnston, Harper, Elmslie, Watt

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 February 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I assume this was giving their land away before they emigrated to NZ.

I doubt they "gave" the land away but rather sold it.  ;)

Have you tried the Nova Scotia Archives' Historical Vital Statistics website? Here's a link:
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/

Birth registrations don't start until 1864 on the site but there are marriage bonds that date back to 1763.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kooran and Jacquie

Kooran - just love the cat!! That must be the same people as mentioned in the disposal of the land - same names!

Jacquie - no, they wouldn't have given it away. I have tried vital statistics but all of the McKenzie children were born before 1864, and the family had gone to NZ by 1864. Their oldest child didn't go to NZ, but I don't even know if he made it to NS, could have died in Scotland.

The family in NZ is fairly easy to trace (and there's heaps of them) also in Scotland. Still relatives living in Gairloch and Inverness. But Nova Scotia - very hard.
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson