Author Topic: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone  (Read 37066 times)

Offline alidot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 November 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

I think Sarah Marion died in Belfast but I'll double check this with my mum, I know it was Northern Ireland anyway.

Regards
Ali

Offline alidot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 November 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Received your PM, thanks.

Ali

Offline delganey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I came across this website accidentally and saw references to my great grandmother, Katherine Hamilton Todd, and her daughter, my grandmother, Winifred Mary Todd (married to Gregory Reid).  I may have information which could be helpful to you; My father (now deceased) is the third child of Winifred and Gregory; if you have any questions, please write and I will try to find out.  Katherine owned 'corner house' in Milford.  I remember the corner shop, which I believe was also a post office at one time.

Offline delganey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noreen

Does the cemetery have a name? I found a website that describes Armagh Walks and they don't name it.

http://www.mulelia.net/emigratie/armagh/city.html

If you don't mind, I'll give you locations and if you could take pictures, that would be great. I'll send a PM with a family pic. Not sure of date but their children likely travelled a distance: David Livingstone, London; William (my ggf), Penang; Thomas James Canterbury, Belfast; Elizabeth Davidson, Tynan?; and Samuel, Savannah, Georgia, USA. I think John George and Catherine Agnes were in Armagh City and Milford. I think William went to Penang ~1892, Samuel to USA ~1907 (from ship's lists). Although, it appears both travelled back, from time to time.

Stephen McManus from Manor House Museum tells me John & Eliza Mary lived on __ Hill Street. He knows which house. John was Schoolmaster at Milford National School. Eliza Mary was a teacher when married, later was post mistress out of the front parlour in their Hill Street home.

Catherine/ Katherine Agnes and William John TODD lived in Milford, location unknown. The cemetery indicates JP, Justice of Peace?, I thought he was a merchant/grocer although there were two possibilities so I may have the wrong one. Will have to backtrack to check. Katherine taught at Milford National School as well.

I think their daughter, Mary Winnifred and husband, Gregory REID lived in Milford as well. Not sure about their son, Robert Hamilton REID. I found reference to him as a dentist on a couple ship's lists, not sure where. Cemetery indicated LDS, maybe a Licensed Dental Surgeon? I think Winifred may have also been a teacher.

It is amazing, when my father died in Jan 2008, I didn't know anything. Mind you, I have been obsessed with finding out, at great cost, dollars, sleep, emotions, health etc......

Again, thanks for all your help.

J

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello delganey

Nice to hear from you, I sent you a personal message and look forward to touching base.

Was your grandfather Billy?  I have three (possibly four) children for Gregory and Winifred: Darryl, Elizabeth, William (and Henry?). The fourth child is questionable.

Did some of these relatives immigrate to Canada? I've run across some ship's passenger records that suggest that.

Regards
J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 23 September 10 06:22 BST (UK) »
Richard Todd the actor who died last year had a grandfather Andrew that reportedly was born in Castlederg; so perhaps you are cousins to him.

Were there any male descendants of your William Todd or the John Todd the dentist?

Richard

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 02 October 10 16:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Hamilton Hunt,

Do you know anything about the William J Todd that married Catherine Hamilton.

I'm curious about this Todd because I didn't think there were any Todds near Keady at that late date.

Richard Mcmurtry
Los Gatos CA

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 October 10 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hello mcmurtry

I haven't found a connection to Richard TODD, not to say there isn't one.

William John TODD and Catherine 'Kate' HAMILTON had two children, Mary Winifred Hamilton TODD and Robert Hamilton TODD.

Mary  W H TODD married Gregory REID in Portadown, and had three children, I think the oldest two immigrated to Canada with their families. After Gregory's death in 1957, Winifred moved near Belfast to live with her youngest son, Billy's family and died there in 1977. I haven't had any luck locating the family in Canada although I do have some names.

Robert Hamilton TODD, the dentist, was single when he died in Belfast in 1927 so no descendants there.

William John TODD, became quite involved with Armagh, Armagh District Council; Armagh Rural Council; Secretary, Aghavilly Farmers Association; Masonic Order and Board of Governors of RG McCrum Institute. He was also Justice of Peace.

Will have to take another look to see if I have anything more but am going to be out of town for a week.

J

ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone Castlederg
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 October 10 05:17 BST (UK) »
Here's what I have on the Castlederg co Tyrone Todds;

7.   Castlederg, Co Tryone
John Todd
   Robert Todd 1842 per census md 1865 Ardstraw to Jane Stuart
      William John b 1869 Castlederg md Catherine Hamilton 1899
         Mary Winifred 1900