Author Topic: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone  (Read 37063 times)

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone
« Reply #45 on: Monday 04 October 10 05:36 BST (UK) »
Do I understand it correctly that William John Todd and CAtherine had no grandsons?

Richard

Offline pcreid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I am part of the family in Canada.  I am the eldest son of Darrell Reid (there are 6 of us, although only 5 left now).  I am in Canada right now for a family birthday but live in England near Maidenhead, Berks.   My aunty Betty as we knew her, has died, but lived in Montreal.   I am not in touch wth her children and grandchildren but can get more info.  I also am in touch with a branch of the family in West Australia.  He is a brother of Patrick Hamilton who lived in Wimbledon and was a good collector of info about the family but is now dead.

My father died on Dec 11, 2002 but my mother is still alive.   I can get dates and names but will need to do a little research with my mother.

I knew my grandmother (Winifred) and used to write to her in Ireland when I was young.  I also met her mother who we knew as Gran Todd.  I know Uncle Billy is now dead but have just found the email address of one of his daughters who lives in Montreal.   Uncle Billy did live in London for a time and was there in 19797 when I moved to the UK.  His wife is still alive and is back in N Ireland.

I have never been much in touch with my cousins for various reasons so am not sure of names etc but do have an email address as I said.   My father often talked about his Uncle who lived in Penang as did the relative in Ausralia.

This is my first time on here as a brother found the posting so hopefully this message will get through!

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daniel Reid descendant,

Thanks for your response!

My interest in this family is related to a DNA project I'm doing in which I've recruited dna samples from 10 Irish Todd families and 10 Scottish Todd families to see if we can tell which families are related to each other and where in Scotland the Irish Todds came from.

So that's why I asked if the Todd name has died out in your family.

PS: O find rootschat very confusing, but sometimes messages do get received!
Richard

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello pcreid

We're related, as third cousins! I'm a ggchild of William HAMILTON, who lived in Penang. I've been researching the family for years and have quite a bit of information from our gggparents in Milford, Armagh down. I have some info/theories further back but am still researching...

I'd discovered your father had died and am sorry to hear that one of your siblings has also passed away. And that Betty had died, I was trying to locate her. I thought she might be in Ontario. Do you know when she died? And if her husband is still living? I've been in contact with several other third cousins, in Canada, England and New Zealand. None in Ireland, it seems that most have left for other locales.

My grandfather was in Ontario, then BC, his siblings were in Ontario, England, Wales, Venezuela, West Indies, Trinidad, Barbados, Georgia, Florida and Belfast.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi pc

When did you move to England? You mentioned your uncle Billy was in London for a time, was that Winifred's son? I thought he died in 1995. I assumed he had died in Co Antrim since that was the only location I had for him, but that may not be the case. I know that Winifred lived with his family after leaving Armagh. They were the part of the family I thought might still be in Ireland.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline Scotschap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 19 April 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
Ethel Cardwell who married Thomas Hamilton was my great Aunt.  Born 1875, she was of Tullyelmer House, Armagh - a farmer's daughter.  Do you know if they had any children?  Would be grateful for the date of marriage if you knew it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
Ethel Cardwell who married Thomas Hamilton was my great Aunt.  Born 1875, she was of Tullyelmer House, Armagh - a farmer's daughter.  Do you know if they had any children?  Would be grateful for the date of marriage if you knew it.

Is this your Ethel and Thomas in 1911 census? if so, 2 children born before 1911 & married 10 years:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Lisburn_Road/169496

Added-
Civil registration index- marriage: Ethel Annie Cardwell Apr./June 1900 Belfast registration district volume 1 page 395
Thomas James C. Hamilton on same page
Here in 1901 census:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/St__Laurence_Gate/Dublin_Road/1568777
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Children:
Maureen Ethel Patricia Hamilton Jan./Mar.1902 Drogheda civil registration district volume 2 page 397
Douglas Jan[?] Kenneth Hamitlon Oct./Dec.1904 Rathdown civil registration district volume 2 page 787

This may also be of interest:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NIR-ARMAGH/2008-10/1225321822
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 20 April 12 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotschap

It's great to hear from you...

As Aghadowey said, Thomas and Ethel had two children, Maureen and Douglas, both of whom have passed away.

Thomas and Ethel married 5 June 1900 at Rosemary St Presbyterian Church, in Belfast. Both died in Belfast, Thomas 1 Nov 1953  at the Royal Victoria Hospital and Ethel on 13 Mar 1965 at Maureen's home. They're supposed to be buried together at F70 Knockbreda Cemetary but I haven't been able to obtain a picture. I'm half the world away.

Sadly, they are two of the very few of my Irish family that remained in Ireland. I'd love to learn anything you can tell me about Ethel and Thomas. I do have a couple pictures of Thomas but none of Ethel.

I think their son, Douglas died in 1972 but am not certain, and believe Maureen died in 2002.

As for Ethel's family, I found her father's will online at PRONI. I'll let you find it yourself, that's half of the fun but let me know if you want my help.

Look forward to hearing from you. Rootschat is a wonderful resource, everyone is extremely helpful!!

Jill