Author Topic: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.  (Read 9189 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Freeman b1835 Eng, transported 1860 on Norwood.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 August 15 02:51 BST (UK) »
These seem to be the order books and Petitions referred to by the Lancashire Archives , and are under the heading:
Lancashire, England, Quarter Session Records and Petitions, 1648-1908

Order books, 1859 (no detailed date shown)
James FREEMAN, appearing in Court in the custody of the Keeper of the House of Correction at Salford aforesaid and having, at this Session been convicted of Larceny from person and having been previously convicted of Felony, this Court doth order and direct that the said James FREEMAN be kept in penal servitude for the term of six years pursuant to the statute in such case made and provided.

Also a statement that the cost of prosecuting James FREEMAN in 1859 was 9 pounds, 3 shillings and 6 pence

There is a bill presented by the Prosecutor for his work (Salford February Quarter Session, 1860) in the trial of James FREEMAN and James WILCOCK for the crime of "larceny from the person".

And two others for the prosecution of James FREEMAN for the crime of "larceny from the person", dated Salford October Session, 1860

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 have these records:

15 February 1860 at Salford
James FREEMAN, larceny from a person, before convicted of a felony - acquitted
22 October 1860 at Salford
James FREEMAN, larceny from a person, before convicted of a felony - 6 years

I can't find a record of the "Felony" that he was convicted of prior to these mentions unless it is the 1859 court appearance but there's no record that I can see on this register of the 1859 charge.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 August 15 06:57 BST (UK) »
Judb,

Wonderful!  Thankyou so much for that information.  How are you connected to James?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:20 BST (UK) »
Not connected at all, kimieoz - I just enjoy genealogical research and help out when I can. Many kind people have helped me with my searches so it's nice to be able to help someone else.   ;D

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kimieoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:52 BST (UK) »
Oh yes it can be very interesting.  Just doing a bit of research now on James when he had his boarding house on high street in Fremantle.  Over the years he got himself into a bit of trouble with the law still.  Have got clippings through Trove.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 August 15 14:01 BST (UK) »
I have found James Freeman aka Hoyland/Hyland on the criminal register and the transportation register, I believe this is your man, however the files are too big to upload on this site.

If you PM with your email address I will send you what I just found.

I've no personal interest in James either, but I've been researching convicts transported just lately and thought I'd provide a random act of genealogical kindness as so many people on here have helped me :)  (RAOGK)
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 August 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
The records I have are from 1860.  Interestingly one says he was transported once before.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.