Author Topic: Newbie saying hello  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Pete36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newbie saying hello
« on: Sunday 13 February 05 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone  ;),

I've just found this site purely by accident as I'm starting out researching my family tree.
It all started because I didn't really know much about my dad, he died when I was 8 years old & it's like having an itch you need to scratch.
I've already obtained some certificates from the local Register Office & have some more on order (10-12weeks).

One thing I see as a hurdle is knowing if a relative you find IS YOUR relative or not. Internet searches seem to throw back several possibilities & it's going to be a challenge for me. 
Does anyone know how to see (possibly for free) old maps of your area to see if houses/ streets existed at any time?

Here's hoping to learn & maybe make some new friend's alnog the way,

Pete
Kennedy - Waterford, Ireland

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie saying hello
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 February 05 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete and welcome to Rootschat.

Have you tried www.oldmaps.uk  Or try google search for your street or area of interest. That might throw up something useful for you.

county councils are a good source of old street maps and info on areas maybe worth a visit. Never done it myself but there have been a few people here on Rootschat who have and have had a positive response even to the extent of one being able to get a picture of a street she was interested in that is no longer there.

I am sure you'll probably get many more suggestions so keep tuned in. Glad to have you onboard.

All the best Angela.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 05 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Pete, welcome.  Like you, I started because I didn't know anything much about my father.  You've found what might be your relatives.  That happens to all of us, especially where the names are fairly common.  The only answer is to get as much confirmation as you can, from as many sources as possible.  Does the information on the census tally with the birth certificate, for instance.  Sometimes you're left with no way of being certain.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 05 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Pete - the best way normally is to post specific queries here - Who you are looking for - Where they might have been - When was this.
You may be surprised at what you can find out.
Quite a few of the members have had experience with sorting out the right record from amongst the possibles - the more you do the easier it becomes. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete,

A big welcome to you. I probably can't help you much directly with your research, but I can help you with most problems with RootsChat (because they are generally my fault!).

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 05 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

Welcome to RootsChat.  :D

I hope you get as much out of it as I have.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pete36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 February 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who've replied,

I've been looking around the various pages & links and already have managed to find a street directory & confirm details of streets existing in my area of looking. Wow!
I feel GREAT when I find even the smallest piece of new info. and equally curious about what I haven't yet found.............

I'm also surprised to find that so much family over 3 generations all lived within a 1 mile radius of each other.  (but still probably didn't speak to each other!  You know how it is.)

Just one problem,  there simply isn't enough hours in the day!

Pete
Kennedy - Waterford, Ireland

Paul E

« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 February 05 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

Welcome to Rootschat!  I've been a member since November 2004 and I've already lost count of the number of times other members have helped me along the road!

As Hackstaple has said, if you post 'look up' requests on the relevant County board, with as much information as you already have, people will be able to track your relatives across the 1901/1891/1881/1871/1861/1851/1841 censuses.

Hope you enjoy your membership!

Paul