Author Topic: marriage and death lookup please  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage and death lookup please
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
I am looking for a William Potter who emigrated from England to Winnepeg in the early 1920,s ( I think)
The reason I say I think is because I am not exactly sure when in the 1920-1930.  I have reason to believe that William was born approx 1904. ( He was my fathers brother)
Does the death certifcates state where the person originally came from? Also could some one do a look up for his marriage.
William was born in Wales, UK. His parents were Edith and Samuel Potter.  Samuel died in the first world war.

I hope some one can help  ;)

Many thanks
Avril
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: marriage and death lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avril,  This is not what you are asking, but if you don't have the names  of Samuel's parents you MAY find them on the CWGC site in the citation for Sam.

charlotte

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
There is no central registry for BMD events in Canada. It is a provincial jurisdiction so you would need to know what province William was living in when he married and died.

If you believe William settled in Manitoba and married there prior to 1928, you might find a registration in the Manitoba Vital Statistics genealogy database. Here is a link:
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

There is a possible marriage which took place between 1920 and 1928 in the database. William John Potter and Dora Catherine Tabram were married 21 Apr 1927 in Winnipeg. The database does not provide further information. You would have to order the registration to find out anything additional about William John Potter. The registration would cost $12 Canadian and there are instructions at the site on how to order it.

If William died in Manitoba after 1938 then a registration will not be available as privacy laws kick in for deaths from less than 70 years ago.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Charlotte and Jacqui

Many thanks for the information that you have given.

I have got Samuel's parents thankyou.  The reason why I am chasing William is because he is my uncle (though I think he may be dead by now.) Quite awhile ago when I was about 12 we, that is the family all had photos taken to send to him. because he had gone to Canada long before we all came along. Correspondence went on  for awhile but didn't know how much. I remember the relatives saying that he had gone to live in Winnepeg.
Now my grandmothers sister and brother-in-law a Hippard went to live in Canada and we wondered if he had joined them.  But I cannot get any further there either. 
There is just one of William's(Will) siblings still alive and it would be great to let the family know that we have found out what happened to him and if there are any children.

So the only way that I can be sure is if I can trace a marriage.

Again many thanks for your help and I will look at the site you have given me.  Thanks for the information on the marriage between William John and Dora Catherine Tabrahm.

The 1911 census in the UK is out but it does not include Glamorgan or Monmouth. 

Thankyou
Avril

Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales