Author Topic: Salford census lookup by address  (Read 1544 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Salford census lookup by address
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 06:12 GMT (UK) »
If possible, would some be so kind as to look for 85 Sunnyside Street, Salford and see who is living there.

I am hoping to find  Thomas and Margaret Boyle. b Ireland.
I can't find them on the 1881.

Its puzzling.

I understand there are some censuses where an address can be looked up.
This might be worth a try as this address was given as their residence on the church records of the wedding.

Thomas was at the marriage of his son, also Thomas Boyle,  in  Jan 1883.

More details re this matter, on a  previous post, Wed 11 Feb  2009

many thanks. :)
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Salford census lookup by address
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Thomas (shown as Thos) Boyle is living at 85, Sunnyside Street, Salford in 1881 Census he is shown as a Lodger aged 22 Unmarried a Porter born in Ireland.

The head is a James Coughlin aged 23 b Ireland a Labourer and with him his wife Margaret aged 27 also born Ireland

Reference: RG11/3974 F 11 P 16

I'll look and see if I can find them on other Census returns

Regards
Robert

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 06:56 GMT (UK) »
There is also in 1881 in Salford at 11 West Thompson, a Thomas Boyle aged 45 born Ireland Occupation Dyer who is shown as a Border together with his wife Mary.

What is the occupation of Thomas Boyle Senior on the Marriage Certificate?

Robert

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Salford census lookup by address. BOYLE
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,
thank you very much for doing that for me.  :)  and trying to shed light on this family. I really appreciate it. I was hoping to clear up some mysteries of my Boyle ancestors.

Thomas sr. on the marriage certificate,  is described as a cattle dealer. Thomas Jr also.  ( also a mysterious James Boyle age 72   someones granddad? Why not say that, instead of just 'boarder?)

What puzzled me too was that Thomas Jr.  Cattle salesman, was  living with the bride's family( also named  Boyle) as a Lodger, un  22 at 10 Medlock St. Hulme, at the time of the marriage, 1883. 

On the 1881 census. was a boarder at 10 Medlock st Hulme. Thomas Jr. age 18 (b 1863)  Hog salesman.

I assumed, perhaps I should not have done that, that the witness, Thomas Boyle,  was the groom's father. It seemed logical.
Father of groom described as a cattle dealer.

I just realized these ages don't add up.  Both bride, Annie Maria, and Thomas Jr, were 18 on the 1881 census,  but of legal age to marry in  Jan 1883.  Hmm. ?(If only they had been born a year later I might have found them on the Irish BMD.)

There was an other Boyle living at 10 Medlock St , a James Boyle, age 72 (b 1809) m ( where was wife?) also a cattle sales man, so I thought, because of his occupation,  he might be from that same family,  that of the groom's. Maybe Thomas Jr's grandfather?.  They were all 'born Ireland.'

I was so pleased when I found out,  that on the church records( in Latin)  the parents of the Groom (Thomas Jr) seemed to be Margaret and Thomas Boyle of 85 Sunnyside St.

I had hoped it would lead to more information about this family, even siblings of Thomas Jr. 

Parents of bride: John Boyle, he was an insurance collector.  (deceased  April 1874) and Mary, of 10 Medlock St Hulme. 

I found out later  on the 1901 census(at last!) the counties they came from.  living at 7 Woollam Place Hulme.
Thomas Jr.(  now age 38) had been born in Co.  Leitrim and Annie Maria's family, born in  Co Tyrone. 
Of course no listing on the 1901  for the old gentleman boarder, James Boyle
so I don't know for sure if he too had been born in Leitrim.

Thomas jr was a hog salesman/cattle salesman, and in 1906 at the  time of the wedding of one of his daughters he was still in the same business.

It's odd about the young  James Coughlin and his wife 'Margaret' being at that Sunnyside st.  address.

The Thomas living there could be Thomas Jr . Porter.  could be that  he moved meat about.

A bit of a coincidence about his mother's name being given as 'Margaret'.

Did Thomas Junior perhaps not have both parents living, or they were not in England at the time, and for simplicity's sake, so he could  get married, lied about his age and pretended he did have the parents he named.  Was he inventing parents.  It's all very confusing and mysterious.

Were my ancestors telling fibs to the priests at St Mary's?  :o Was it so difficult to get married under age?  Their first child, a daughter, was born in 1884 so there  does not seem to be a need for an urgent  marriage.
 Perhaps Annie Maria's mother found out there had been some hanky panky . :)

Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)