Author Topic: puzzled dickson  (Read 3550 times)

Offline eddiesboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
puzzled dickson
« on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Any help much appreciated i dont know where to start, thomas dickson and jane mcconnel which could be wrong spelling they are my great great grandparents and thier son went to scotland bannockburn, how can i locate info on them did they go to scotland too? i would imagine from the north and thier son robert was born in 1874

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: puzzled dickson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure about the parents' names? there seems to be some confusion about them on this thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,361891.msg2382944.html#msg23829
Had a look at LDS site and can't find any children for a Thomas Dickson and Jane McConnell (or anything like McConnell) but the Irish records there are not complete.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I think it was Jeanie Riddell (Robert Dickson's wife) who was the problem. The death cert. certainly has those parents names down for Robert.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline eddiesboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
ON THE 1901 CENSUS robert gives his birthplace as ireland there was a lot of migrant miners at this time so i assume he was irish although no one seemed to know this they assumed he was a scot

Offline eddiesboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:36 GMT (UK) »
i have spent a lot of money on sp looking for jeanie all to no avail tried every combination of names hers her fathers and her mothers nothing that matches with dates

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't see Robert on the 1891 in Scotland so far - when and where did he and Jeanie marry?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline eddiesboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:40 GMT (UK) »
1895  east kilbride

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I see that Robert's father is down as Robert rather that Thomas on the marriage cert and not deceased, although Jane m.s. Connell is.

Gadget

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget- the other thread was a bit confusing. Checked LDS for children of Robert Dickson and Jane Connell but nothing- closest is Jane Allen.
Until a more exact place in Ireland is known it's difficult to start searching records here. Robert, born c1874, will probably have a birth certificate but with such a common name and not knowing where the family lived it'd be hard to find the correct certificate in the indexes.

Did a few searches on Emerald Ancestors (index is free to search) in case there's a marriage for Robert and Jane Dickson but not looking good for Northern Ireland.
Robert Dickson = 77 marriages with 3 of these with bride named Jane
Jane Connell = none married to a Robert
Jane McConnell = 90 marriages and none of these match up to the 3 marriages under Robert Dickson search.
Births- Robert Dickson- 1874 one in Co. Down and other in Co. Antrim but would be happier about these as possibilities if parents' marriage was found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!