Author Topic: Sleight & Hollingsworth Lincolshire, Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire.  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Stringbean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sleight & Hollingsworth Lincolshire, Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 09 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene
Wow, thank you, :o this was a nice suprise to come to this morning.

Why is it there names on a piece of paper or computer, but then when you find those names belonging to your family tree it sends tingling feelings right down your spine and you feel that connection, as if you have actually touch them and feel embraced. :-* Thank you.

Just think if mum Dorothy, and Doreen Sleight didn't have to go into childrens home, her are two uncles they could have known and shared time with.

Another suprise for my mum.

Thank you
Stringbean  8)
Names I am researching
Sleight, Hollingsworth, Smith, Marshall, Lowery, Hudston, Smedley, Keal, Avery, Glenn,
Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 February 09 19:46 GMT (UK) »
SOS EVERYONE!

I'm really struggling to find the Hollingsworth family before OR after the ones I found in 1891 -  can anyone with a fresh pair of eyes help, please.

Also, struggling to find the parents' marraige, and Lewin's birth!

So hoping to help Stringbean!

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 February 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stringbean,
Do you, by any chance, know which year Lily died? Was it in Sheffield?
Paulene :)

Offline Stringbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 February 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene

I have lily's will, which Lily made 17/4/1943 and died 3/5/1943 and lived at 54 Imperial Rd Beaston, Nottingham.

With the new contact I have with one of Dorothys family, they live live in Chesterfield. His father dealt with Lilys will & funeral arrangements.
who lucky was that.

Thanks, take care.

Stringbean. :)
Names I am researching
Sleight, Hollingsworth, Smith, Marshall, Lowery, Hudston, Smedley, Keal, Avery, Glenn,

Offline Stringbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 February 09 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline

I found this on the 1901 census, but don't have accsess to look further, at the moment.
 Hoping at Easter to buy credits and have more time to do my searching, I'm gathering all information for now.  :D

Lewin Hollingsworth   14  Notts Beeston  Nottinghamshire  Beeston   Juvenile

Thank you for your help

Stringbean  :)
Names I am researching

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 February 09 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stringbean and Dave,
Well, after hours and hours of searching and thinking I think I might have sorted it!
Dave (or any other kind soul following the thread), as Stringbean hasn't got access to the census yet, would you be good enough to check this out and see if you agree, please.

I couldn't find them anywhere, on the 1891 census - as a family, that is.
Or, a marriage for Thomas Hollingworth/Hollingsworth to a Mary before the birth of John and Lewin.
Tried looking for info on Thomas, but didn't find anything to help.
Looked through census before 1901, and for clues using names on 1911 census.

So, I thought I'd have a look for the baptisms of John, Lewin and Lily on the Notts FHS baptism cd - nothing again!
Tried everyone option I could think of, but none of the surnames fitted!

Left it for the night and went to bed!
Woke this morning, and not wanting to be defeated and disappoint Stringbean and her/his mum, I thought about what I could look at next for clues. Knowing that the family were living with John Glenn, from Lincolnshire, on the 1901 census I thought I would explore him - see who he married, etc.
His birthplace varies - Bourne, Thurlby (Lincolnshire). He married Sarah Avery in 1866 Grantham District.

Still, nothing coming up - no marriages for a Glenn or Avery to a Hollingsworth/Hollingworth.

Finally, I thought I'd go back to the baptisms and Freebdm to look at the births of John and Lewin again. I hadn't been able to find Lewin's birth registration last night - there was one that could have been John's. So, I thought I would have a look for any John and Lewin's born at that time, without a surname. Two baptisms came up, in Beeston, but the parents' names were Benjamin and Mary Ann - surname MOORE. ???
No Lily though, in 1895.
Not other likely ones anywhere!

Investigating a bit further I decided to find out who Benjamin Moore had married - looking a few years before the birth of John in 1885.  And, I found a marriage in Sep qtr of 1884:
Benjamin Moore to Mary Ann Glen   Basford 7b 136
(Found the following on www.familysearch.org:
Mary Ann Glenn baptised 28 Jun 1868 Closterworth, Lincolnshire
Father: John Glenn       Mother: Sarah                                Batch: C013379).

Went back to the birth registrations and found:
John Moore  Jun qtr 1885
Lewin Moore  Mar qtr 1887

So, I thought 'I wonder.....' and found this:
Marriages Mar qtr 1898:
Thomas Hollingworth to Mary Moore  Basford 7b 157

Thought, this is looking good, but where is Lily's birth registration, and eventually found:
Births Mar qtr 1896
Lily Hollingworth Moore
Basford 7b 211.

So, if I am right Mary Ann was a relative of John Glenn's (not worked that out yet) and that's the reason they were living with him in 1891. John and his family were already in Beeston, on Windsor Terrace, in 1881, but it looks as if Sarah his wife died sometime between 1881 and 1891 (though I haven't found her death yet) - he is described as a widower on the 1891 census.  Mary Ann's husband Benjamin Moore dies in 1892:
Deaths Mar qtr 1892:
Moore Benjamin  32  Nottingham  7b  179
Now whether Mary Ann moves in with John, her relative, at this stage (both being on their own), or later we do not know. But, she meets Thomas and they have Lily in 1895/6 and then marry at the beginning of 1898.
In 1901 Thomas and Mary Ann are still living(as a separate household) with John Glenn in Windsor Street, Beeston.
I notice, too that a couple called Elizabeth and Lewin Avery, from Lincolnshire, live nearby - they were born 189 and 1820, and may be John's wife's parents.

Anyway, this is what I think happend, but please feel free to say otherwise if you think I've got it wrong, or find them elsewhere.

Stringbean, I'll see if I can find them in 1911 for you, too.
Back soon.
Love Paulene x

Offline Stringbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 February 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene & Dave

Wow what can I say, I'm flabbergasted at the work you have both put into this search, and what you have found out.  :o

I would not have known where to go for this depth of researching.

I thank you both for all your hard work and all the hours you have put in, lets hope that this information proves to be right, it might take me a while to get my head around so much information.

Thanks
Mrs Stringbean  ;)

Names I am researching

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 February 09 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mrs Stringbean ;D
Found them!
Well, Lily and her mum + one step-brother.

Thought I'd treat you - this is the household on the 1911 census:  
Glenn, John  head (widower)  1843  Tholby Bourne
Hollinsworth (probably mis-transcribed), Mary Ann  DAUGHTER  (married)  1871    Coalsworth
Glenn Florence  daughter  (single)  1885    Beeston
Moore John  visitors  (single)  1887  Beeston
Moore Lily   visitors   (single)  1896  Beeston

Occupations:
Driver Hammer man
Charing and cleaning
Charing and cleaning
Chopping wood
Domestic service
(*spellings as shown!)

No address, though, sadly.

Don't know where Thomas is hiding, Stringbean. It doesn't say deceased on the marriage certificate, does it? Also, what address is given for Lily on the certificate?

Anyway, enjoy!

Let me know what you think.
Take care.
Paulene :)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 February 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Whoops! - so carried away, I forgot to say that they were living in Beeston :-[ ;D