Author Topic: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!  (Read 60109 times)

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 23:10 GMT (UK) »
When I purchased the 1881 census a neighbour asked me to look for her Sarah Horsfield in the Drax area.  Sarah was not there nor was any of her family- ok she'd moved was the first reaction.
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 23:16 GMT (UK) »
When I purchased the 1881 census a neighbour asked me to look for her SARAH HORSFIELD in the Drax area.  Sarah was not there nor was any of her family- ok she'd moved was the first reaction.  All variations of the name were tried we even tried looking for Sarah in Drax - still no luck.

When the 1871 census came out we searched Drax, picked on a name and searched for them in the 1881 census via the neighbours option.

Bingo, Sarah and her family were listed as HORSEFEEDER

well, would you have thought to try Horsefeeder as a variant of Horsfield ?  No ! neither would we, but it took us about 5 years to find her, but find her we did along with her parents and siblings. 

Thank goodness for the neighbours option.

Carol Sklinar
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk
Wakefield Family History Sharing

Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Paul i did the western sahara thing and found thousands from durham and looked at original and it doesn't say anything even remotely close, how the hell did they manage to get western sahara and how did you spot it???

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Paul E

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev

I was looking for one of my ancestors in Durham and he came up listed as Western Sahara, which sounded faintly  ::) improbable unless they had discovered coal there!
I'm not sure why there are so many indexed like this, unless it is some form of abbreviation that the indexers have used that automatically gets picked up.

Now, if it had been Canada one could almost understand it, given all those Winnipegs, Ontarios and Quebecs in Durham!

best wishes

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 07:34 GMT (UK) »

Bingo, Sarah and her family were listed as HORSEFEEDER

Well done in finally tracking this down though!
Horsefeeder sounds like it might just make the Censuswhack listings ...  ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,29743.180.html

best wishes

Paul

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 12:05 GMT (UK) »
One branch of my family comes from Shaw Hill, Melksham. I found some just now in the 1901 census, one row apart on the same page, listed as -

Stav Hill Fredteslan
and
Hill Melbolen

same enumerator, same (clear) handwriting  :o

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Aaaaaaaaaaarrgh!

After much hunting in 1861 at 1837online I found my Tyrrell family mistranscribed as Lunt !!!  True it is not very clear on the census either though  :-X

Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Yet another famous one from 1837online, my Mary Juniper transcribed as Mary Jumper - maybe she liked a bit of knitting in her spare time  ;D

Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 22:56 GMT (UK) »
my Great grandmother's married name was McCooey but she was widowed only two months after she married. she got married a couple of years later. On the marriage certificate for name of Bride they have it down as McCoohy, now on the Western Australian BDM register she is listed as McCooky. Sound like something you get with a cup of coffee at a certain hamburger chain. :D

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)