Author Topic: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!  (Read 60122 times)

Paul E

Re: Your Favourite Census Mistranscriptions!
« Reply #72 on: Friday 01 April 05 02:18 BST (UK) »
Oh, Tariana ... those magical words '1910 Census' had me salivating, as you'll know that we're stuck back in 1901 here in the UK! :)

Sinez is a wonderful name for someone - gives you the impression he had problems with his nasal passages! :)

And Debbie ... your Dear Litta Baby is just lovely! :) :) :)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 01 April 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
On the 1871 transcription:

HRH Prince Arthur was born at Beckington Palen, Middlesex...

;D ;D ;D

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 02 April 05 19:46 BST (UK) »
I don't know about favourites........these are TODAY's

PASTERFIELD family as WESTERFIELD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HARRIET PASTERFIELD as FEDRICK PASTERFIELD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i'm not sure how they arrived at either.......however we do have an advantage in that...we know the name we are looking for!

This hobby of ours can be hard work at times...........

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alord

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 09 April 05 16:01 BST (UK) »
How about this then!

Searching for my husbands Sugden ancestors, I found a
Herbert Shite Sugden !!!

Of course this should have been Herbert White Sugden.

Fancy his parents calling him such a rude name.

Alison

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 09 April 05 20:29 BST (UK) »
Mine was a Bertice A Coulson,been mistranscribed as Vertice A Coulson in the 1871 Census.

Stephen
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 10:09 BST (UK) »
Found this post and it did make me chuckle, I thought I was the only one that had spent months floundering round looking for disappearing realatives. My G G Grandma was born Paulina so I figured hey, easy name to find. 6 months later I was still looking, finally found her as Theyner  :-\ in 1871 and then Philner  :-\ in 1881. I also had an Alice down as Alen. Like its not hard enough when they get the names right !!!
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)

Offline Jaguare

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 11:50 BST (UK) »
If the census is to be believed I have some very dark and macabre influences in my tree :o .  My great grandmothers first marriage was to a Corps which unfortunately had an 'e' added and on my grandfathers side their Keel was at one time Kill.  These two lines eventually came together, with, strangely enough the Kill appearing before the Corpse (which I suppose it would!).  That is the only skeleton I have found in my family cupboard :)
Researching
Phillips/ Derbidge in Hampshire
Golding/ Baldock in Sussex and Kent
Farmer/ Mills/ Cheney/ Bridger in Southwark and Bermondsey.
Richardson/ Gorringe/ Brush wherever they may be.

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 17:25 BST (UK) »
Another one of mine from the 1871 Census.Was a particular branch of the family that were born in Maxstoke in Warwickshire.Various members of the family all on the same page of the census,have been transcribed as been born in either Martock or Maxtock !!.

Stephen
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Paul E

« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 09:29 BST (UK) »
These two lines eventually came together, with, strangely enough the Kill appearing before the Corpse (which I suppose it would!).  That is the only skeleton I have found in my family cupboard :)

Introducing Mr Kill-Corpse - lovely! :) :) :)

Paul