Author Topic: Louis John Ainger South African Army  (Read 1593 times)

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Louis John Ainger South African Army
« on: Thursday 19 February 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me, I am looking for any details on Louis John Ainger.

This is what I know about him

Born:-  1881 St Pancras, London

Census 1881:- Living in St Pancras, London with parents and siblings.

Census 1891:- Living in Islington, London with parents and siblings.

No other UK records of him

Died:- 1917 Dieppe, France.

Louis died whilst serving with the South African Native Labour Corps leaving a wife and children.

My interests are:-

1. When did he go to South Africa?

2. Marriage

3. Children

4. Why did he join South African Army and not British (are you able to do this if you  married a South African).

Any help with this would be greatfully received.

Many thanks
Kim

Williams-Enfield Middlesex<br />Burl(e)s-Enfield Middlesex, Hatfield Broad Oak Essex<br />Collins-Enfield, Middlesex<br />Staines-Enfield Middlesex<br />Thompson- East End Of London<br />Attrill- ? Bethnal Green, Essex or London areas<br />Wright-Bermondsey<br />Patten-East London, Essex

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Louis John Ainger South African Army
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

There is this Estate File for him in the Cape Archives

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/944                                                               
REFERENCE 2508                                                                 
DESCRIPTION          AINGER, LOUIS JOHN. ESTATE PAPERS.                                   
STARTING  19170000                                                             
ENDING    19170000 

which may answer the wife/children questions.  Can't help with the "why" question though.

Regards
Moira
South Africa - Wessels/Vorster
South Africa - Behr/Toerien
South Africa - Pnematicatos/Chimato
Cornwall, England & South Africa - Hicks/Breach
Yorkshire & Durham, England & South Africa - Kenney/Hucks

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 09 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Moira,

Can I ask what an Estate File is?  Would that be to do with property or belongings something like that.

Kim
Williams-Enfield Middlesex<br />Burl(e)s-Enfield Middlesex, Hatfield Broad Oak Essex<br />Collins-Enfield, Middlesex<br />Staines-Enfield Middlesex<br />Thompson- East End Of London<br />Attrill- ? Bethnal Green, Essex or London areas<br />Wright-Bermondsey<br />Patten-East London, Essex

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

Yes - it will contain a Death Notice and may contain other documents relating to the winding up of the person's estate.  Look at one of the stickys at the top of the board for an example of a Death Notice and the information it may contain.

Regards
Moira

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 February 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Moira,

I will have a look.

Kim

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

I had to go to the Archives today as a favour to someone else so looked up your file for you.

Name:  Louis John AINGER
Place of Birth: St Pancras Road, St Pancras, London
Father: Charles AINGER, late of St Pancras, London now deceased
Mother: Charlotte AINGER, late of St Pancras, London now deceased
Date of Decease: 13 May 1917
Place: On active Service, France
Age at death: Not stated
Address: Eureka, Main Road, Sea Point
Spouse: Helen Mary AINGER deceased 15 October 1915
Marriage Place: Congregational Church, Observatory, Cape Town
Children: Elsie Maud Ainger Kingwell (minor) adopted [Ainger was written after Kingwell but has been circled and arrowed to before Kingwell]
Has deceased left any movable property: No
Has deceased left any immovable property: No
Is it estimated that the Estate exceeds £300 in value: No
Has the deceased left a Will:  Yes

Signed at Cape Town 20th July 1917 by JH Bradley of Eureka, Main Road, Sea Point

In the file there is a letter to JH Bradley from Union of South Africa, Record Officer, S.A.N.L.C dated 15th May 1917.  In essence it states:

Advising that No 194 Staff Sgt L J Ainger died from Hemiplegia on 13th May and to please break the news to Miss Elsie M Ainger.

There is also a Will dated 16th May 1915 wherein he bequeaths his estate to his adopted daughter Elsie Maud Ainger Kingwell.

Hereunder is a transcript of a letter from Charlotte Gore dated 17 May 1917.

Dear Sir

I am writing to you because of the sad event of the death of my only brother Louis John Ainger (late Head Attendant of Old Somerset Hospital, Cape Town) which occurred at Dieppe on May 13th.

Myself and a younger sister are his next of kin.  We had been eagerly looking forward to meeting him again, but it was not to be.  My husband crossed to France to see him but found him unconscious.

In  due time the War Office officials will forward his effects to me.  I am trusting that I shall then know all he wished, though I am quite sure he never premeditated that he would meet death the way he did.  He was a widower and had adopted a little girl now aged 4½ years, whom he has boarded with friends in Cape Town.  He left her behind in their care, providing I believe for her maintenance from his hospital pay.  I think you will find 120 days leave was due to him for past service.  He had always hoped to utilize this in a visit home, and had, I know, sent in a application to be allowed to spend 40 days of it in England before his retuen to South Africa.  Failing to have had this leave I take it that the Government hold themselves responsible for the pay for the same.  If this same amount had not been willed away from us, nobody else but my sister and myself can put in a claim for same.  Will you please note this.

I shall be very much obliged for any information you can let me have regarding this matter.,

I am,
Yours faithfully
Charlotte Gore nee Ainger.

Regards
Moira

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh Moira,

I cannot thank you enough, you have given me a wealth of information.  It was believed that he had a child or children whom I can now follow up.

Thank you so much for the information.

Kim

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 09 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Pleasure  ;D