Author Topic: COMPLETED, Thankyou. 174 High st, Lincoln.  (Read 4048 times)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 174 High st, Lincoln.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 March 09 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I wonder how many Lincoln people have got a family photograph in their collection taken by Harrisons.  I certainly have.

Peacocks was Wilkinsons, but I don't think it was Tesco.  I am fairly sure they were in the large building immediately south of the railway crossing which is now split into two shops.

Perhaps it was Harrison's that I was going to (mentioned in my earlier post).  It's funny, I can't remember Tesco (but I did stop living full time in Lincoln in 1965).

The 1900 directory has the same numbers for Harrison, the Lion and the Royal Oak as in 1946. 170 was a tailor's (Penney).

The 1857 directory at www.historicaldirectories.org has the Royal Oak at 168 and Lion at 170.  I guess the census may not have been correct.  John HASTINGS was at 39 Silver St in 1857.

I can't fully work things out - 172 was a pawnbroker's in 1861 ... but also in 1900 - so did anything change?  The Royal Oak and Lion were given as being 166 and 167 in 1861 (in St Mark's parish).  As the Lion was the last thing in St Marks and HASTINGS the first one in St Mary le Wigford, I think it only the numbering that was unusual, the positions can still be worked out.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 March 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Rosie.  and all

Rosie , I remember  :)

I just started this thread, to nail down , what businesses, had been at what is now 174, High street.

such a nuisance when they change the numbers , :)

but thought that seening it is next door to the pub, it might be easier to trace  :D

Eilleen.

EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 09 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Eilleen

It definately should be easier to trace next to the pub especially with the likes of GeoffE's local knowledge  ;D

GeoffE,  The census was right as I have a birth certificate for 1862 which states 170 High Street, I suppose he could have traded at 174 and lived at 170 but not very likely as times were hard.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk