Author Topic: Constant A Moeller  (Read 5906 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Constant A Moeller
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »

Sorry it's a bit hard on the eyes.

An obit in the Chicago Tribune says about the same thing, except it mentions that manufactured trucks under the name Moeller Truck company before he became president of the Narragansett company.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 February 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
http://fearstrikesout.blogspot.com/2007/02/footnotes-in-sox-history.html

" Gansett Beer. Speaking of broadcasts, one of the main sponsors of the Sox in the sixties was Narragansett Lager Beer, brewed locally in Rhode Island. Their tag line was “Hi, neighbor, Have a Gansett." Their most memorable commercials were a series of clever cartoons extolling the virtues of Gansett in a comical way. One featured the famous Parakeet Bar, another featured a dog who helped his owner win a bet - and a Gansett - by being able to talk. Another featured a cowboy who came into a bar and tried to buy a beer for himself and his horse. I actually found this one on YouTube. Click and take a look back at what television advertising was like forty years ago. I think they were ahead of their time."

Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline mkepler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 February 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if he's related to Carl C. Moeller... I don't know his siblings but I'm beginning to wonder more about the whole beer things, as he was apparently also known as Constantine Miller ...  wonder who his sibs were and if that fits into Miller Beer?  There's also a constantine miller with the same birth/death years burried in Michigan.   All very confusing.

Offline HiNeighbor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 March 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Greg Theberge. My dad, Ed, and I are collectors and historians of Rhode Island breweries.

I run the website on Rhode Island brewery history that was listed above. You can read more on the Narragansett Brewing Company at:

www.rhodeislandbrewinghistory.com

I don't have a lot on Constand beyond what little there is on our website. I'll scrape around all of the stuff that isn't on the site to see if I can find anything else.

I, too, would love to learn more about the man and have enjoyed reading what I have so far. I would love to talk some more once additional information is accumulated and look forward to sharing in the future. My personal email is:
(*)

This is my first post on this site. My "HiNeighbor" comes from the same that I use on an antique baseball forum similar to this one. All the best,
Greg

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline HiNeighbor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
By the way, my records show that his first name was Constand, not Constant

Greg

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 09 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi HiNeighbor -

Welcome to RC.  I'm not a descendant of this family, just a Red Sox fan with good memories of the Narragansett ads.  Keep posting and then you'll be able to send and receive personal messages.  While you're here, you can get some help searching for your own ancestors.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline HiNeighbor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erato,

Thanks for the welcome. If you check out my site, you'll hear Curt Gowdy and see some of our Sox-Gansett materials. I also collect pre-1920 Red Sox items as well.

All the best,
Greg

Offline mkepler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I have so far on Constant/d A Moeller, my great great grandfather.  Before last week, I didn't know much about him except that he was involved with Naragnasett Beer.  Don't know much about what happened to his children except for Constantina Alweena who's is my great grandmother.  If anyone has any info on the loose ends, it would be greatly appreciated.  And thanks to those who do the Beer Websites.  They are very intersting!

Here's what I've got...

Constant/d A. Moeller (Gran Gran's Grandfather)
AKA Constantine Miller per 1870 Census of New Haven
It seems that "Müllers" from Germany had several options when they came to America.  They could become "Miller", "Muller" or "Moeller".  The spelling of his name varries slightly between censuses.

Constant A Moeller was born April or August 1842/48? in Baden, Saxony Germany.  His father was named ?Ennis and was born ~1810 in ?Baden, Germany.  Mother unknown.  In ~ 1860 Constant moved to America.  In 1870 he reported himself as a “Saloon Keeper” in the New Haven Census.  In the 1880 census her reported his profession as “Lager Beer.” and in 1888 he was one of six men who started the Naragansett Brewery in Rhode Island.  He served as president of this company.

He married a woman named Augusta (last name unknown) 6 years younger than him and they had at least 10 children including Oscar (B~1868 and died before 1880), Emma (born ?Aug 12, 1880), Augusta J (Born 1875), Clara (Born ~1878), Constantina Alweena (Born Jan 1879), Ida E and Constant R (Twins born Dec 1880), Laura (Born Sept 1882), Lillian Emma (Born July 1886) and Herbert L (Born 1888).

Constant A. Moeller died June 1, 1914.  His son, Herbert took over the family business it seems until his death from a heart attack on Aug 11, 1940.  Herbert also had started a company called the Moeller Truck company.

Constantina married Moses Rogers and our line descends from there.

Below are the census records that I got the info from.

Name: Constantine Miller Saloon Keeper
Age in 1870: 28
Birthplace: Baden (Germany)
Home in 1870: New Haven Ward 3, New Haven, Connecticut
Constantine Miller 28
Augusta Miller 22
Oscar Miller 2
Emma Miller August 12
Ennis Miller 60  (??His Father)

1880 Census – New Haven
Moeller Constan A 38 Can't read his stated profession looks like Lager Beer?
Augusta (his wife) age 32 “Keeps House”
Emma Age 10
Augusta Age 5
Clara age 2
Constantina age 1
15 yo servant.

1900 Census – New Haven
Moeller, Constant A ?Aug/Apr 1844 age 56 Widowed Brewer Born Germany
Kids all born in Connecticut
Augusta J  aug 1875 age 24 single
Constantina A Jan 1879 Age 21 single  (We're descended from her)
Ida E  Dec 1880 Age 19 single
Constant R Dec 1880 19 single
Laura Sept 1882  17
Lillian E July 1886 13
Herbert  L 1888 Age 11
They had 2 Irish Maids living with them.

Looks like Emma and Clara had moved out.  Note also that Constant and Ida were twins, so maybe Kate can thank the Moellers for that.  Per the 1870 Census, there was an Oscar (Born ~1868) who was apparently dead by the 1880 Census

Per Kate's page, Clara married Caldwell Sydney Johnston  I can't find them in the Census, but per the Whitney Arts center, The Whitney Arts Center is a Colonial Revival mansion (c. 1900) built by prominent New Haven businessman Constand A. Moeller as a home and concert hall for his daughter, Clara, an opera singer. For 50 years it served as headquarters of the New Haven Woman’s Club. The space features a 2,000-sq.-ft. hall with stage and curtain; two parlours; a commercial kitchen; and rich architectural elements, including a mahogany-detailed foyer, fluted columns, and leaded glass doors. The hall is used for performing arts/fitness classes and special events for up to about 165 people. Contact via email at: whitneyartsctr[at]aol.com. 591 Whitney Avenue

Per the 1910 New Haven Census it looks like Constant R married a woman named ?Marla/Marda  His profession was with insurance.  He had 2 kids as of 1910 Constantina H (age 2) and ?Eunice E age 1.
Per the 1920 Census, he had a son Constant A.   9 born 1911.  In the 1910 census, The father constant is living with his 16 yo granddaughter whos name I can't read.

Per the 1930 Census, Herbert Moeller was married to Pearl age 29.  Herb was 31.
They had 3 children Pearl 4, Herbert 2, and Justin 1. 

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 March 09 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you found this google book reference to Augusta's marriage...

http://books.google.com/books?id=yQsWAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA33&dq=Moeller+New+Haven+Connecticut&ei=UWWwSd3mIofCzgSfrM2uCA

Best wishes
Jean