Author Topic: McCuskers from Fermanagh  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
McCuskers from Fermanagh
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Great Granny Susan, according to the 1911 census, was born in Fermanagh about 1856.

Her sister, Elizabeth, according to various census, was born in Maguires Bridge or Brookeborough, close to one another.

Is anyone else researching this family? Their parents are John and Susan.

Thank you.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McCuskers from Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 09 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Or, is anyone reading this who is able to look at Protestant baptismal parish registers for Maguires Bridge or Brookeborough, please?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
What religion were the McCuskers? have you tried looking at LDS online catalogue to see if they've microfilmed the church records? (this will give you an idea of what records might exist)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying.

They were Protestant.

I don't think they have been filmed. I know that the Mormons have not always been allowed to film them: I was told this at the FHC in London recently; they were not allowed to film many years of the Irish civil registration records.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Protestant isn't a religion. Most likely possibilities in Co. Fermanagh are Church of Ireland, Methodist, Presbyterian...
The LDS have actually included Irish civil registrations in their Pilot site (1845/1864-1921 for Northern Ireland and until 1958 for Republic of Ireland):
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Ah. Thank you.

Their parents had married in Clogher Cathedral, Church of Ireland.

Yes, the indexes are in the pilot site, but the LDS staff told me that they had only been allowed to film certain years; but I was still very pleased to see the full registration details for one of my relatives in 1880  :)

I forgot to say that Elizabeth would have been born about 1854.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 09 12:21 GMT (UK) »
When did the parents get married? if 1845 or later the marriage certificate should list their residences and fathers' names and occupations.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Their marriage certificate states John McCusker married Susan McAlarney 12 May 1848 Cathedral of Clogher, Co. Tyrone, according to the rights and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland. John was of full age, a bachelor, a labourer. His residence was Crocken ...?, parish of Clogher. His father was Francis McCusker, a labourer. Susan was of full age, a spinster. Her residence was Corcrievy, parish of Fivemiletown. Her father, William McAlarney, was a tailor. Witnesses were William Murphy and James Breen.The officiant was William Brownlow Ashe.