Author Topic: Hildreth Marriage  (Read 3740 times)

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hildreth Marriage
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
can any one help in finding a marriage between Philip Hildreth B. 1819 in Tweedmouth Berwick on Tweed and Isabella Russell b.1821in Horncliff Northumberland. Their first child  William I believe was born in Tweedmouth in 1845. Philip was a seaman and does not show up on any  census as living with Isabella. In the 1871 census he is listed as master on the ship The Vigilant. They moved to Durham between 1852-1855 . I can not find a marriage any where. I think Philip died in 1874.
Many thanks in anticipation
Heather

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Hildreth Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »
There is an earlier thread about this marriage, just linking it to avoid any duplication of searching
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,359690.msg2364661.html#msg2364661

This looks like eldest child's birth registration, so the marriage should be some time before that
Dec 1845  Berwick *    25   14     Hildreth    William   

Isabella was at home with her family in 1841, so I searched the GRO index 1841-45 without success for this marriage, hope someone else may find it in parish records

Barbara     
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline meadbh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Was Philip's father William Hildreth,  mariner?  I see that Philip's oldest child was named William. There was a cross-border marriage at Lamberton Toll on 17 Sept 1847 between Anthony Watson Pratt, moulder, to Margaret Ann, daughter of William Hildreth, mariner, both of Tweedmouth. If the Hildreths were nonconformist, then Philip's marriage might also have been a cross-border one, and the records for these are very patchy.

Kath

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 09 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. Thanks for replying.
Philip's father was Wiliam (marriner) b.c1791 he married Elizabeth Ramsay
b.c 1791 Bewick on Tweed. I cannot find that marriage either. Philip did have a sister Margaret b c 1828 so this could be the one. Their first born was about 1818.  I think Margaret was the last born. I will keep looking
Heather

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

I have the Hildreth's in my tree - Isabella Russell was the sister of my 3 x gt grandmother Sarah Russell.  I could not find a marriage for Isabella and Philip either.

I did however find a record in Tweedmouth Marriages at the Berwick Archives for Philip's father William to Elizabeth Ramsay 5 Jan 1812.

Marion

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I did not have the marriage for William and Elizabeth, and am no further forward in finding the marriage for Isabella and Philip, perhaps if he was always away at sea they did not find the time to marry!!! still I will keep on searching
Heather

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 12 04:45 BST (UK) »
So sorry to resurrect such an old thread but........

In the book "Irregular Border Marriages Volume 1" (ISBN 0 946594 26 0) I see an entry for 1844 (entry 1095) the reads:

1095 Lamberton Toll Jan 1 Phillop Heldrith to Isabella Russill both of Tweedmouth. Wit. Andrew Tait, Mary Tait

All the spellings are as they appear in the book. I hope this information isn't too late for you. :)

I have a Hildreth in my family tree who also married at Lamberton Toll. (Margaret Ann Hildreth married Anthony Watson Pratt) there.

Best regards
Kevin Ferguson
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 12 14:10 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks. I am glad you did resurrect this topic. I did not have that info.
Thanks again Heather

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Kevin

Many thanks for giving us this information.  Great to have this record - Isabella is the sister of my one of my 3 x gt grandmothers who also had an irregular border marriage in Berwick - now I will go back an put the information into my records.

Many thanks - it pays to keep looking!!
Marion