Author Topic: Edwards in Lampeter circa 1800  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwards in Lampeter circa 1800
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Two ancestors of mine, by the name of Ralph Chambers and Elizabeth Edwards (Born C 1785 -1990 ) , married around 1811 in St Martins in the field in London. Their son was called John Richard Chambers . They both died before the son was six, and he was raised by his grandfather , David Edwards , in Lampeter . David Edwards would have been born around 1762 , and his parents were John Edwards and Margaret.  Do these names ring a bell for anyone,  ?
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards in Lampeter circa 1800
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 09 18:59 BST (UK) »
~~~~~~~~
....Their son was called John Richard Chambers . They both died before the son was six, and he was raised by his grandfather , David Edwards , in Lampeter . David Edwards would have been born around 1762 , and his parents were John Edwards and Margaret.  Do these names ring a bell for anyone,  ?

Dear Huwcyn

I have found David Edwards in the 1851 and 1841 Census for Lampeter / Barber (born Lampeter)

but the child/young man with him is called  David Staford - grandson, born Middlesex, so sounds like John Richard Chambers, but wrong name? / Tailor

1851  Lampeter   Class HO107, Piece 2483, Folio 229
1841  Lampeter   Class HO107 , Piece 1375, Folio 33,

My computer screen is jumping about so typing may be inaccurate here, thanks to CITRIX. !!

In  1841 David is given as David STRADFORD
and there is another young man, same age, given as Rees Edwards
neither of these boys (aged 12) was born in Cardiganshire.. Trade given as Tailor for both.

Hope this helps..

Jen

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards in Lampeter circa 1800
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for going to such trouble. Unfortunately, we know that David Edwards died in 1839, and was a farmer. It might well refer to a relative of my G-G-G-G-Grandfather, but chasing ancestors in Wales gives you red herrings all the time, because of the scarcity of surnames . It was common for girls in Cardiganshire to become maids in London (My grandmother did) . Even today, you find pensioners in this part of Wales , brought up Welsh-speaking in London, and have retired to their parents' original area .
          I'll bear the 'Staford' surname in mind - a fanciful notion might be that he was Elizabeth Edwards's son by a second marriage , with 'your' David Edwards being her brother !
   Thanks again .
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn