Author Topic: HOGG,GEORGE c 1820 Rox.Scot  (Read 16675 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HOGG,GEORGE c 1820 Rox.Scot
« on: Sunday 22 February 09 03:25 GMT (UK) »
GEORGE HOGG born c -1820 Roxburgh Scotland.
 married Dec 26 1844 Hawick ? Roxburgh Scot.
to Elizabeth RUTHERFORD
born Nov  1822  Hawick,Rox.,Scotland
She was the dau of Jean/Jane Waldie and Robert Rutherford.
Robert Rutherford died 1838 and Jean then marr a William LAidlaw...

...Who were GEORGE HOGG's parents and did George and Elizabeth have a family.????
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HOGG,GEORGE c 1820 Rox.Scot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 February 09 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi ajjbc,

There are four children on the IGI, although it looks likely there were more pre-1855. Unfortunately not registered though, as they don't show up on SP or the IGI. :(

Robert, b. 11th May 1856 Wilton
George, b. 19th April 1858 Hawick
James Rutherford, b. 21st March 1861 Minto
Alice Rutherford, b. 14th June 1865 Minto

Here they are in 1861:

Address: Minto Village, Roxburghshire
George Hogg, head, mar., 39, joiner (journeyman), b. Selkirkshire (town not known)
Elisabeth Hogg, wife, mar., 38, -, b. Hawick
Jane Hogg, dau., unm., 13, -, b. Hawick
Janet Hogg, dau., unm., 11, scholar, b. England
Matilda Hogg, dau., unm., 9, scholar, b. England
Thomas Hogg, son, unm., 7, scholar, b. Hawick
Robert Hogg, son, unm., 4, -, b. Wilton
George R. Hogg, son, unm., 2, -, b. Hawick
James R. Hogg, son, unm., 6 weeks?, -, b. Minto

hume

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 February 09 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hume 24...thanks so much...would you believe that I had just finished finding and tracing and printing this family from 1861-1891...the couple were alive all the way through...
The Elizabeth Waldie ,wife of George Hogg ...well her mother was Jane/Jean Waldie who married a Robert Rutherford (1st) then a William Laidlaw (2nd).
Jean/Jane Waldie was the sister to my 3rd great grandmother....Oh Boy..that was a stretched out line eh...he he
Working all the WALDIE lines which ever which way pays off..and of course Scotspeople get their pay too...
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this post on RootsWeb?

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/BORDER/2002-02/1014246396

Should be easy to find George's d.c. to find his parents' names ... hopefully they're included. :)

hume

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hume24...Wow...great job...I did not have those death dates...THANK YOU SO MUCH...now off to pay the piper at Scotspeople and find George Hoggs parents.
I flipped back to that website and read and read and then subscribed...
I have hundreds of years of Borders folk to chase,some easy and some darn difficult to find..
Great  sepia photo..who is he?
Again many thanks ...AJJBC

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hume 24...just went into scotspeople and went to deaths in Rox (only) and dates 1897-1899 (to cover my bases).None for 1898 at all.

There was one for 1899 George HOGG age 69 so I but the bullet,just in case and..not right one,had a funny feeling before I said pay 5 credits but did so ,just in case...

So I now own a death cert for a George HOGG who died Oct 24 1899 in Hawick and his parents were William HOGG and Ann GRIERSON...his wife was Mary GASS

So now I need to share this hoping someone can make use of it.

Is there anything you can think of that I might be missing the boat on?
Thanks in advance for your time....

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 09 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes it helps to search further afield ... ;)

George Hogg d. 21st June 1898 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire. Age on certificate is 75, and he is listed as the widower of Elizabeth Rutherford. His parents were Thomas Hogg, farm steward (dec.) and Janet Hogg m.s. Brack (also dec.). Son James registered the death.

hume

Added: Thomas Hogg & Janet Brack married 18th May 1817 at Yarrow.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hume24...I owe you a scotspeople search sometime....Now had I put in a search for all Scotland..I would not have even dreamed that could be him,because on the all the census I have ,he has stayed put in Minto and even in 1891whe his wife was alive  and  his daughter Alice living with them..
We sure have to be think outside the box when we search.
Thanks Hume..I owe you !!

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 March 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear

If I'd seen your post before last week when I went to Minto, I'd have got a better pic, sorry

Attached a gravestone you may be interested in, as you can see the light wasn't brilliant (well it was that was the problem)

Next time I'm up there

The inscription reads:

In memory of
Janet Brack
Second Daughter of
George Hogg and Elizabeth Rutherford
who died at Minto 21st June 1868
aged 13 years and 3 months
Also
Robert Rutherford second son
of the above died 28th November 1885
aged 29 1/2 years
Also the above Elizabeth Rutherford
wife of George Hogg
who died 26th April 1893
in her 71st year
Also the above
George Hogg Died Melville St, Falkirk
21st Jun 1898 aged 77
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty