Author Topic: Duke William PAINE  (Read 14426 times)

Offline rosemary5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duke William PAINE
« Reply #36 on: Friday 10 March 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I've dusted off my copious notes on the Worthing Paines.  You probably have most of the genealogy so I'll add in some of the background information, starting with William Pain and Ann Weston.  William and Ann were married, by licence, on 31 March 1725 at St Peter the Great, Chichester.  Little background on William, other than birth about 1696, and thought to be of Huguenot descent.  He established his blacksmith's business in Broadwater some time shortly before his marriage.  The Westons were one of West Tarring's oldest and most prosperous families of yeomen farmers, dating back to the early 1500s. Ann was the second of six children of Edward Weston (1670-1757) and Elizabeth Hardham (1679-1723), and was baptised on 19 February 1706.  Ann's siblings were Sarah (1702-1705); William (1709-?); Elizabeth (1712-1747); Edward (1715-1774); Esther/Hester (1718-1718).  Edward junior seems to have inherited the farm. All West Tarring.  William and Ann had five children.  Elizabeth, baptised January 1725, died 1731.  Ann, baptised 15 Jan 1727; died 23 Jan 1852.  Edward, baptised 27 May 1735.  Inherited the farm from his uncle, Edward Weston. Died, unmarried , 25 July 1797. Have copy of his interesting will and inventory. William, our common ancestor, baptised 14 March 1731, inherited blacksmith's business (more on him later).  Elizabeth (named after deceased sister) baptised 25 September 1737.  Married Philip Moore, landlord of The Malsters Arms, Broadwater, on 18th November 1755 (more later).  All baptisms/burials at St Mary's, Broadwater.
I've located most of the Broadwater burials, - some photos of headstones, and have copies of several wills.  Must try to get to the Record Office for more copies of wills - often very revealing.  More on the next generation later.
rosemary5

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandma Ella Williams 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 March 17 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary, and Campbell

Lovely to hear from you and apologies for delayed response. I've been away and for some reason was unable to post a reply on my ipad.  I'd be very interested in your transcription of the Parlett letters, as this is my ancestral line.

Cheers.
Jane
DBY:  Walters. DUR: Dorman, Gowland. DVN:  Berry, Gent, Norman, Reed, Spurrell, Watts.  ESX:  Adams.  NBL:  Fenwick,  Jobson.  NFK:  Dewing, Goss, Herring.  SAL:  Bailey, Ball.  SRY:  Wicks.  SSX:  Baker, French, Pelling/Young, Parlett, Paine.  STS:  Bailey, Hanson, Penn, Radford.  YKS:  Dewing.  NI Co Armagh: Sergeant, Bradford. Wales: Williams, Owens.

Offline rosemary5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 March 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you, Jane.  Sadly, my attempt at attaching the transcription of the Parlett letters has failed - I am not sure whether you have received the rest of the post either.  Is there any other way I can contact you?  Meanwhile, I'll send the next instalment of the Worthing Paines in due course.
Rosemary