Author Topic: McCarthy  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Jenzoe Hartley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCarthy
« on: Sunday 22 February 09 06:33 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great grandparents were Callaghan McCarthy and Catherine (nee O'Leary) from Ballincoursey House, so the family story goes.  Callaghan died in 1876 and Catherine in 1871.

Can anyone tell me, would Ballincoursey House be a private residence then, and where might I look to find out where exactly in Clonakilty it would be?

Thank you
Jenzoe

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
could this be the same place ? - Ballinacourty House

they have a website here : http://www.ballinacourtyhse.com/

looks like it's not in Co. Cork but Co. Tipperary in the Glen of Aherlow - (which may be partly in Cork).. http://www.aherlow.com/html/home.html

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Omurchu

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Jenzoe

I have just spotted your inquiry of 22 February 2009.  I am also descended from Callaghan McCarthy and Catherine O’Leary who lived in Ballincoursey House in the 1800s.  This house (a new one was built next it in the mid-1900s) is located in the townland of Ballincoursey between Timoleague Village and Clonakilty Town in West Cork.  The last of the family who lived in the house died in 2004. Let me know if you want some further information on their descendants.

You will find a reference to Callaghan McCarthy on the first two lines of the mid-1800s Griffith Valuation of land holdings – see

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=McCarthy&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=&countyname=CORK&unionname=&parishname=TEMPLEQUINLAN&Submit.x=53&Submit.y=14 

Click under “Original Page” for the acreage and valuation of his two holdings (numbered 1 and 2) and click under “Map View” for their location.

Regards

Donal (Omurchu)
18 September 2011

Offline MCBudd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 12 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Donal (and others),

I am very interested in being in touch with anyone who can tell me more about Callaghan McCarthy and Catherine O'Leary.  I am related to their daughter-in-law Margaret (Murray) McCarthy who lived from 1826 until 1893 and is buried in the Murray family plot along with her husband in Kilgarriffe graveyard.  Her daughter Mary married Jeremiah Cotter and, while looking at obituaries for both Mary (McCarthy) Cotter and Michael McCarthy Scully, I saw Charles O'Leary who lived at Ballyduvane and moved to Barry's Hall, Timoleague and his wife Margaret mentioned.  I'm also related to Charles O'Leary, but through a different branch of my family from the Murrays and would like to piece this puzzle together.

Do any of you know of a connection between Catherine O'Leary McCarthy and the Ballyduvane O'Learys?

Best,
M. Carl Budd

Offline ClochnaCoillte

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 23 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello to you all,

Sorry I'm years late in coming across your posts.
I'm a direct descendant of Callaghan and Catherine McCarthy of Ballincoursey near Clonakilty Co. Cork, as I discovered not so long ago...
If anyone is still interested, I'm quite willing to share the information I've managed to find...

Talk soon perhaps !

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 23 19:01 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Unfortunately none of the previous posters have been online here since November 2012, but hopefully if their e-mails haven't changed and are still current, one or more of them should receive a notification of your post, and will hopefully return.

I'm a direct descendant of Callaghan and Catherine McCarthy of Ballincoursey near Clonakilty Co. Cork, as I discovered not so long ago...

The official name of the townland is Ballincourcey in the civil parish of Templequinlan.
https://www.townlands.ie/cork/ibane-and-barryroe/templequinlan/templeomalus/ballincourcey/

Can anyone tell me, would Ballincoursey House be a private residence then, and where might I look to find out where exactly in Clonakilty it would be?

I don't see a Ballincourcey House in the townland on the 1887-1913 map.
(MapGenie 25 Inch)
https://arcg.is/1fyvSq1

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo