Author Topic: FH Programme comparisons please  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
FH Programme comparisons please
« on: Sunday 22 February 09 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I currently have FTM2005 installed on my PC and it it quite easy to use. However, I have also been given a copy of Family Historian 3.

I know this question is a case of preference but has anybody used both programmes and what are your verdicts on them (plus or minus).

cheers

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Linda from Murton

• RootsChat Member
  • A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer
    • View Profile
Re: FH Programme comparisons please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 February 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I used FTM2005 for a number of years.  About two weeks ago I downloaded Family Historian 3.  Family Historian is a whole different ball game to Family Tree Maker 2005.

As someone said to me before I decided to get FH3 - its all down to what you want to do with your software.  I found Family Tree Maker 2005 simple to use.  Family Historian appears much more complicated, but it is'nt really.  I am on a steep learning curve and at the end of the day prefer Family Historian.  If you want a more simple life stick with FTM2005. (I understand that FTM2009 is quite complicated). 

Because I bought Family Historian 3 when I did, I shall be entitled to Version 4 free of charge when it comes out in March.

At the end of the day - its down to what you want to do with your software and your data.

Good luck.

Linda
Co. Durham: Dodds, Green, Campbell, Pickering  Hall, Raymond, Armstrong, Bell
Cumberland: Brown, Musgrave, Bell, Key
Devon: Raymond

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm only a new boy so my opinion may not be worth much, but.......

FTM2005 I found very easy to use, still do, but it lacks the customization I need to show all the married cousins in my wife's tree.

FH3 I thought was harder to use. It has a less intuitive interface, and although it is customizable it was a bit like drawing the tree myself - I might just as well use a spreadsheet.

I tried FTM2008/9. I've sent it back.

I've just downloaded a trial of TMG, to see if that does the trick; until then I shall stick with FTM2005, supplemented with spreadsheets for the awkward bits.

Roger The Hat

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

We've all been new to this so all opinions are valid. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've now got both programmes on my PC but havent had chance to play with them fully yet but i'll bear your comments in mind

thanks

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.