Author Topic: Personal & Private.  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Personal & Private.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry
The quote was one that I added myself. trying to be funny  ;D
The e mails you get are automatically sent to you by Roots. They send them if a reply has been added to your thread, like I am doing now, or if you have posted a reply on someone else's thread . Hope that makes sense. :-\
Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Teltoons

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 February 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene,

Yes, I see what you mean & it makes sense.

Cheers,
                                                  Terry.
Burrow, Donabate, Co. Dublin. Fulham, Smart. Summerhill, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. Bolger, Quirke.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 February 09 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry  :)

I moved your topic over to Family History Docs and Artefacts as that's where we're putting conservation-type queries now.  Hope you don't mind  :)

As for cleaning soot etc off photos, all I will say is be very careful. 
Here's what I recommend:

1.  Place each photo face up on a nice clean bit of newspaper
2.  Use a very soft brush to softly wipe any bits of dust etc. off the surface - brush from the middle of the photo outwards, and don't apply pressure.
3.  Invest in a chemical sponge, also called a smoke sponge:  http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/sundries/sundries13.html  They are specially designed to pick up soot and smoke residue and one sponge should last you pretty much forever.   Cut off small wedges to use, they don't redeposit the soot onto whatever you're cleaning and you will be surprised how much they pick up.
4.  After using the sponge there is probably little else to be removed.  Any remaining obvious residue is most likely embedded into the photo emulsion, so if you are going to clean with metho and a cotton swab, do not rub!  You will start to solubilise the photo emulsion and move the dirt further into it.  Simply use a damp swab (i.e. dip in metho and then roll on a bit of clean kitchen towel to remove excess) and roll it across the surface of the photo, rather than rubbing.  If you don't pick anything up on the swab, then your smoke sponge has done its work and it's not safe to go any further.

I hope that helps with what is a difficult and distressing task - I have dealt with thousands of photographs belonging to people whose homes were damaged or destroyed in bushfires, and it is really heartbreaking.  I was so sorry to read your message so I hope you eventually get the rest of your pics cleaned up and can post some more here for us to restore  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 February 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Tel....

There is more than one book in your life story by the sound of things.... get cracking on that you have the pics to go with it... cant wait to see and read it...

all the best

xin

Offline Teltoons

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 February 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue & xin,

Thank you both for the emails & kind words.
As for the advice on restoring the the photographs, I've taken on board what
you say, Prue. It seems like I've been getting away with murder the way I've
been going about my clean ups! I suppose I've always been a bit of a chancer!
I suppose I've been lucky so far. I'll bear in mind what you have said and be
less cavalier in the future!
Thanks again, both of you, for your time and interest.

Cheers,
                                                                          Terry.

Burrow, Donabate, Co. Dublin. Fulham, Smart. Summerhill, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. Bolger, Quirke.