Author Topic: What Regiment in Exeter in 1811  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Anne-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
What Regiment in Exeter in 1811
« on: Monday 14 February 05 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to establish what Regiment may have been in Exeter in 1811.  I am tracing George Beeho who enlisted with the Connaught Rangers in Jan 1812 in Exeter and marched with them to Chelsea. 

From his rank School Master Sergeant (and age) it would imply that he had service with another Regiment.  Question is........ which one?

Unfortunately there is no personnel file for him at the PRO and I am having to trace him via Muster Rolls with the regiment (s).

I would be very grateful for any information or pointers anyone can give me.

Thank you

Anne-Marie

PS George has links with Somerset (Keynsham and Bath) if that is relevant?
Beeho Beho Beehoo Beho Beeko Becho Beecho and any other version!!Anywhere!
Also Dainton Somerset, Richardson Brighton/Portugal
Blackshield Essex/London

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: What Regiment in Exeter in 1811
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Anne-Marie,

Age ??? What age ??? All you have mentioned is that George Behoo held the rank of School Master Sergeant and you think he had been with another regiment. Do you have his date of birth ???

The Connaught Rangers Association of Main Street, Boyle, Roscommon may be interested in any information you are able to supply about George's career in the army.

All the Best, Christopher

Offline Anne-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: What Regiment in Exeter in 1811
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been offline for some time.

I do not know for definite but I suspect George Beeho was born about 1765-1770 as he married in 1790 (St Andrews Holborn).  He was probably about 40 when he enlisted which seems quite old to "begin" a military career - or wasn't it? 

I have found his wedding (but no other trace) and then George Beeho and wife Ann Cameron appear in Keynsham in 1804 & 1805 with the christening of 2 children.  Why and when they moved to Keynsham I do not know. 

Maybe his wife died about 1812 and that is why he enlisted to have his children looked after?  One son (William Augustus Beeho) enlisted in the Connaught Rangers in 1819.  I also suspect that a daughter(?) married in Ireland and this is where the Connaught Rangers went and George died in Kilmainham, Dublin in 1824.

Thank you for the suggestion of the Connaught Rangers Association - I will give them a go!

Thank you for your comments and any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

A-M
Beeho Beho Beehoo Beho Beeko Becho Beecho and any other version!!Anywhere!
Also Dainton Somerset, Richardson Brighton/Portugal
Blackshield Essex/London