Author Topic: John CONDUIT c1812 to 1863  (Read 5042 times)

Offline essexclark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Name: Diane
    • View Profile
Re: John CONDUIT c1812 to 1863
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I have the original marriage registration of John Conduit and Emma Fruen.  John and his possible sister Harriet have signed the register as CUNDUIT, Thought at the top of the page CONDUIT was written.  Emma made her 'Mark' on the register, though her brother signed it.  Hard to tell if he signed FRUEN or FRUIN.  Other witness is Ann, but I wouldn't have worked out her surname at all.  Samuel Jewell and Harriet Conduit married in the same church a year later.

I should be getting Henry John Conduit's baptism redord along with his youngest sister, Selina Sarah (known as Sarah Selina).  I'm hoping that there may be some Godparents listed on the baptisms.  They should arrive in a few weeks.

We have more or less ruled out the Durnford baptism for a John Conduit in 1806 to William Conduit and Sarah Clark because their Harriet was born around 1820-25.  Plus John was fairly consistent in recording his age.

The 28/1/1815 is looking like a possibility with James being a Miller like John.  John would have been under age at the time of the marriage so may have put his age up to marry and just carried on with it.  I will have to try to find out if they had a daughter called Harriet born c1809-10.  Hopefully, if they list godparents on the baptism records, William or Martha may be listed.

I did have the dates for the burials of John and Emma, but it is nice to add the name of the Vicar to my records.

Now for Emma Fruen.  According to Wiltshire and Swindon Records Office, the St Martins baptism for the period she was born have not been transcribed as yet, so we may have to wait for that one or pay a fortune for them to go the the records by hand.  I got the baptisms for John, Mary and James while I was a member of Ancestry, but as you can see below from the IGI listing, I have William and Elizabeth as parents for John and not Thos and Mary.  I wonder it Thomas was another brother of William Henry Fruin that I haven't found before.  William's father was John Frewin.  Perhaps two grandsons of John Frewin (Fruen) were baptised the same day and both named after him.

John Henry FRUEN  Born 11 AUG 1815 Christening 19 NOV 1815 Fisherton Anger, Wiltshire, England
Parents William FRUEN and Elizabeth   
Messages:  Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Mary Fruen was buried 8/3/1820.
James died June qtr 1886, death registered in Camberwell, Surrey.
There is still some debate as to whether John died in America 1902 or England around the same time.

Once again, thank you for all your help.
Regards,
Diane
Greenock, Scotland: Millar
Devon: Dimond/Diment/Diamond, Baily.
Somerset: Druce/Drews, Rawlings
Durham: Fenton, Emmerson
Staffordshire & Shropshire: Ray Brown, Jones, Goulding/Golding
Wiltshire: Conduit, Fruen, Alford, Dyer, Titt, Butt, Potter, Wilkins/Wilkens/Wilkence, Dunning, Garrett, Newman, Shrimpton, Goodall/Good, Harding/e, Geoffrie, Gibbs, Franklin, Elliot, Hinton, Pearce.
Kent: Percival, Kidd, Green, Croft, Baker, Eason,
Cornwall, Eng: Jewell,
Middlesex: Percival, Blake, Cooper

Offline essexclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 March 09 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I was starting to think that we were on the right track with James Conduit and Elizabeth Munday as parents of John 1812.  However, with some more research I found Elizabeth Conduit nee Munday and her children on the 1841 census (see below).  Her John was unmarried.  On the 1841 census, my John was married with 3 children.
It looks like I am back to square one again.  I have heard that there was a John Conduit who married Ann Blake in Durnforn on 17/2/1795.  I did find a birth for a daughter Mary on 23/10/1796 in Durnford, but haven't been able to find anything else.  I would love to find the rest of their children.
Thanks for all the help you have given me.
Diane

1841 Census
HO107/1165/6 Folio: 6 Page: 5
Durnford

CONDUIT Elizabeth  60 Y Independent                    
CONDUIT John  25 Y Agricultural Labourer          
CONDUIT William  20 Y Agricultural Labourer     
CONDUIT Martha 20 Y                                         
CONDUIT Eliza Unknown Y                       

Wiltshire: Conduit, Fruen, Alford, Dyer, Titt, Butt, Potter, Wilkins/Wilkens/Wilkence, Dunning, Garrett, Newman, Shrimpton, Goodall/Good, Harding/e, Geoffrie, Gibbs, Franklin, Elliot, Hinton, Pearce.

Offline essexclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
After searches for the baptism of John Conduit (using all variations of the name) were completed by Nimrod and  the WRO, plus purchasing the disc from WFHS, which covers all C of E Baptisms for Salisbury and it's 9 surounding parishes, we have been unable to find the baptism of John Conduit in any Church of England parish records for that area.  With further research using the timing of when the census were taken, we have worked out that John was born between about 6 April and 6 June 1812.  Also, he may not have been born in Fisherton Anger as people have assumed.  John only ever recorded Fisherton on the 1851 census and Fisherton, Salisbury on the 1861 census.  He never recorded Fisherton Anger. 
Being unable to find John's baptism, we started searching for Harriet Conduit b. c1810 Durnford who was a witness on John's marriage in 1834 and also for Selina Conduit b. c1825 Fisherton who was working for John's mother-in-law,Elizabeth Fruen (nee Potter) on the 1841 census.  These 2 Conduit women had to have some family connection to John, most likely as sisters.
First we found Harriet.  She was incorrectly transcribed by the LDS as Hariet BLAKE, bapt 22 Oct 1809 Durnford, d/o Richard BLAKE & Judith CONDUIT.  The original parish record actually reads d/o Richard & Judith CONDUIT ' BLAKE.  With further research we found the marriage of Richard CONDUIT BLAKE to Judith SMITH on 3 Apr 1809 in Durnford and also the baptism of Richard Conduit s/o Mary BLAKE Baseborn on 25 May1788  Durnford.  Conduit appears as a middle name and was probably the surname of his un-named father.  Copies of the original records have been obtained.
We know that Richard moved to the Salisbury area with his family between the birth of Harriet and the birth of John so we then set off to find the baptism of Selina Conduit.  Her baptism was found as Selina CUNDUIT b. 4 Mar 1824, Bapt 3 Apr 1825, St Edmunds Church Street Wesleyan, Salisbury, along with brother George who was born 25 Aug 1822 and baptised with Selina.  They were listed as children of Richard CUNDUIT and Judith SMITH.  A previous baptism was then found for another George born 18 May 1821, bapt 15 Jul 1821 in the same church this time with the surname CONDUET.   The last baptism found at St Edmunds was for Mary Ann MILLER, d/o Richard CONDUITE MILLER and Judith SMITH, born 1 Jan 1829, bapt 15 Mar 1829.  Judith is the consistant name through all the baptisms found, linking the family.  We have long believed that John's father was a Miller and we are sure that the LDS have mistakenly included Richard's occupation as his surname. 
No one, including the WRO, has been able to tell me who holds the parish records for St Edmunds Church Street Wesleyan, Salisbury.  The LDS claim that they have transcriptions from 1803 for this church, but this is not the case.  The only dates before 1821 are births only with the baptism occuring after 1820.  It appears that this church does not have registers that cover the period that John was born, but it is most likely the church that he was baptised in. 
Richard and Judith both died in 1831.  Richard in January and Judith in July.  They were buried at St George C of E, West Harnham.  Had they been living in Fisherton Anger then they would have been buried at the Fisherton Anger cemetery.  Their daughter Mary Ann was also buried at St Georges, Harnham in 1829 under the surname of CONDUIT.
Without finding John’s baptism, we cannot be 100% certain that Richard and Judith were his parents, but we are 100% sure there was a close family link.  From information gathered we believe that Richard was the Miller at the old Fisherton Mill, which was located in Harnham across the Water Meadow from Fisherton Anger which was about half a mile away.
Many may not agree with Richard and Judith as John’s parents, but they are the best option so far.  In trying to prove which was correct for the other options – William Cundick/Conduit & Ann Spicer, William Conduit & Sarah Clark or James Conduit & Elizabeth Munday – I was only able to prove that none of them were correct.
I would welcome any information that could disprove Richard and Judith as parents of John Conduit.

Diane

Offline essexclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 June 23 07:28 BST (UK) »
Just came across this old post of mine.  For those still looking.  The problem of who his parents were has been solved.  He was the son of Richard Conduit-BLAKE b.1788 Durnford and Judith (Julia) SMITH b. 1790 Durnford.  Both parents died 1831 and were buried in West Harnham, Wilts. 
As near as we can work out, Richard was a Miller and living at the Old Mill in West Harnham.  The mill was on the West Harnham side of the border with Fisherton Anger and the dwelling on the Fisherton Anger side with the border running through the middle of the property. 
Though John's actual baptism has not been found, the baptisms of 4 younger siblings have been found at St Edmunds Church St, Wesleyan, Salisbury.  The burials of a 5th sibling born 1819/20 and the youngest child found in the 4 baptisms at the church in West Harnham. 
Baptism records for the St Edmunds church in Salisbury can only be found from about 1821 onward.  Hence John and any children born before 1821 have not been found.
The baptism of John's eldest sister, Harriet, took place in Durnford in 1809 as Harried Conduit BLAKE.
Their father Richard Conduit BLAKE 1788-1831 was the illegitimate son of Richard CONDUIT 1766-1832 and Mary BLAKE b. 1767.  DNA matches to descendants of Richard's children through his subsequent marriages have proven the connection.
Though Harriet was baptised as BLAKE in Durnford, Richard seems to have reverted to his father's surname once he moved to the Fisherton Anger / West Harnham area and the church they used for baptisms seems to have been St Edmunds Church St, Wesleyan, Salisbury.
Hope this helps those still looking for info.